Blargaman's GameCube SP

Blargaman91

I don't care if the name's already taken, I like it.

So without further ado, I present to you, this piece of plastic:
2mereo3.jpg

This portable includes:
-An sl-68 from Polycase (inspired by gman)
-An okay 3.5 inch screen, composite video
-A stock heatsink trimmed to fit
-Dual tact shoulder buttons
-3DS sliders
-A wiikey fusion, swiss flashed
-A homemade LM4880 stereo amp, analog volume control
-USB 3.0 port for an external 4-player adapter
-5 transistor battery indicator circuit
-2600mah 7.4v internal batteries
-Charge jack and external power jack
-SD Gecko on slot B, internal memory card on slot A
-Headphone jack and Kindle Speakers (they're actually very good)
-A horrid paint job done by me

Well, this is hardly any worklog, sense it's pretty much finished. I was going to make a worklog before, but I kept thinking progress would be too slow and I couldn't keep updated. Now here it is, done.

But now that I'm making a worklog, I have some questions to ask. This portable has more failures than successes, and I need to work out those kinks. So, first of all, I have a problem with the GameCube resetting, specifically when I flip a certain switch. Said switch is one that controls power to the screen and the amp. I put it there to be able to turn internal AV off when using the AV out port. My testing shows that the Gamecube is fine and keeps running when power to the screen and amp is cut, but it just freakes out and resets when you reconnect power to the screen and amp. And by reset, I mean it actually restarts the software you're on, like you pressed the reset switch, just without the fading out.

What did you use to wire up the 3ds sliders? I've really want to put them in my GCP but can't bring myself to pay 35 for RDC's board

Blargaman91 said:
Thanks, Ashen!

Xtreme, I just used some resistors on the x and y axis, which is shockslayer's fix to making 3DS sliders work. The thread about that is here: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8324&start=0

Thank you so much :D. Great Job on the Portable btw, i really like the colors you used :tophat:

EDIT: one more thing, where did you get the caps for the Sliders? i cant find them on DX :c

I bought the PSP replacement caps on this listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PSP-8-X-2-Repla ... 2eba5c6c59

I used the larger one in the middle. I don't know where else to get them if eBay doesn't work, though...

It seems that this portable is developing even more problems, which is coming from, guess what, hot glue! I used way too much in this thing. Well, on to the next project. One heck of a worklog...

Well, that caught me off guard. I wasn't ready for that much sexy.

Thanks, ttsgeb.

A little update on this dormant worklog, I opened the portable and replaced most of the hot glue with superglue bonds and I moved the fan and heatsink farther apart for better airflow. It doesn't look any different on the outside, so no pictures for me to post... planning on a component video/WiiKey modded GameCube next, no portablizing.

I also still have the longstanding problem in this portable with my AV switch. The GameCube just resets whenever I cut off power to the screen and amp then reconnect it while it's on. I can't see why. Too much sudden amp draw for the regs?

I don't think there is a reset pin on the MX chip... but even if there is, it works like it's supposed to, I have a reset switch connected to the traces it's supposed to be connected to. That switch works fine. But the resetting that happens when I flip the AV switch is different, it always brings you back to the BIOS menu. I don't know necessarily where I should look for shorts, because it's something about the 3.3v line. That could really be anything, right?

Blargaman91 said:
I don't think there is a reset pin on the MX chip... but even if there is, it works like it's supposed to, I have a reset switch connected to the traces it's supposed to be connected to. That switch works fine. But the resetting that happens when I flip the AV switch is different, it always brings you back to the BIOS menu. I don't know necessarily where I should look for shorts, because it's something about the 3.3v line. That could really be anything, right?
That doesnt sound like your board that sound like your custom regs i had a problem similar to this one but it didnt reset it just turned off and then i found out it was my 1.9v reg that had a small short in the cap eventualy the rag died so i just change it to a new

Back