Beginner

I am really interested in learning to build epic portables, and was curious, where should I start? Honestly, of all things, the case looks like the hardest thing to make.
How much does a project usually cost someone? (Including the price of things you've broken)
What console would be easiest to mod? (I assume NES would be a good start)?
How much previous knowledge do I need? (For example, I haven't the slightest clue how people mange to make a mobo smaller)
Not sure if this is the right place for this, sorry if it isn't.

ficarra1002 said:
How much does a project usually cost someone? (Including the price of things you've broken)
This can range from under $100 to maybe $400+(assuming you don't break anything and have parts laying around, and the system your portablizing.)

ficarra1002 said:
What console would be easiest to mod? (I assume NES would be a good start)?
Yes an NES is a good console for beginners.

ficaraa1002 said:
How much previous knowledge do I need?
You'll need basic (sometimes advanced) soldering skills, notes and pinout guides; which aren't too hard to find here, and patience.

N64 or a GameCube may be better for beginners because they are smaller and have a ton of info available.

Nes, is the easiest then probably Genesis or Snes.

N64 and Gamecube would be for more advanced modders.

The problem is that none of those have any reasonable amount of support right now. There has been next to no research done on the Genesis, for example. The N64 mobo doesn't have to be trimmed to be smaller than an NES, and has less to relocate on the cart slot. There is also a LOT more support and information on this site for the N64 than the NES, so yes, while it can potentially be much more complicated than an NES portable, it can also be easy and quick to build a decent sized portable if you don't try to tackle the same things the more advanced members do. I would also wager that most NOAC portables are going to be more complicated than a basic hardwiring of a screen and controller for a N64.

Remember, you don't HAVE to try to compete with the best to build an amazing portable.

I also hear Gameboy portables are extremely easy to build. .. ...

As one who has a built them all...... An Nes clone portable is super easy compared to anything else.

Now I think about it, I don't care about how easy it is, as long as it is somewhat-doable for a beginner like me. This is going to a be a learning experience for me, so I might end up doing the N64, then a famiclone/or nes. And should I make a new thread(s), or post them here?
For now, I'll assume here, if I'm wrong, I'll move the question.
So, first up, how does one go about converting a av output to a certain screen, and is it possible with this screen?
http://i.imgur.com/JB0Ps.jpg Theres another black cable on the other side like this one that leads to under the board, so I assume one of the cables is for the buttons, and one is for the video. I assume this is the video, because I don't think it needs 9 wires for 3 buttons.
http://i.imgur.com/iMEtX.jpg

EDIT: Spoilers are for text only, and I don't feel like resizing and reuploading.

Back