battery issue (please help)

lyberty5

A month or two ago i bought batteryspace batteries and a batteryspace pcb and charger from bush right here on modretro.
I received them pretty fast given the distance to cover.

My first problem is that i received a Li-ion charger instead of the batteryspace smartcharger, but bush assured me it would work so since i haven't tryied it i believe in that.

My problem is that both of the cells were sealed in electric tape, as i've seen most of your round here do.
But one of the cells was swollen to twice the size of the other one, kind of in a round shape. So i took the electric tape cause the difference of thickness could have been caused by the tape of course. But when i took the tape of, i noticed it was actually swollen and round unlike the other cell which was thin and rectangular.

What caught my attention mostly was that after the tape was off i noticed the swollen cell had on its bottom some hot glue covering a crack where the gray plastic of the battery was open.

I assume this isn't normal, and i guess i shouldn't use those cells should I? I am kind of affraid to do so.

Moreover bush told me the protection circuit was locked in protection mode so i should rewire it, i'm guessing there is something to do with the issue.

I'm not attacking bush at all since my knowledge of this is limited, but i sure as Heck can see something is odd. And i want to take precautions since i don't want the battery to leak or worse due to the fact that it is open and the charger is unusual.

I hope someone will take the time to clarify the situation.
Pics can be provided if needed. Thanks

i just noticed there is "samjc3 was here" on the swollen cell ^^

and ok i guessed i should throw them away, but that means i got *plinked by bush
what about the charger, will it work?

Thanks to you both by the way

li-ion charger
model: bla bla
input : AC 100-240V
output : dc 8.4 1.0A
indoor use only

but my cells are li-poly, is that okay (not trying to be a smart ass, i sincerley do not know)

No, both worked fine. And I was a bit mad at the "Sam was here." That might have something to do with one being swollen, but I doubt it. For the moment, I blame shipping. Lyberty, is there any way you can get reimbursed from the postal service?
EDIT: also, the smart charger worked fine for me, li-po's are actually a type of li-on and can use the same PCB's and chargers. Also, that tear in the battery foil was there when I recieved them, I repaired it with hot glue and electrical tape and it performed just fine.

no there isn't, its a pretty flaxty system in france, but what about the hot glue you put there? if i put some back will it be ok?

No, do not use that cell, it will likely explode. (It's really just burns up, but that's the term used.) Store it in a nonflammable container for the time being until you can dispose of it correctly. Im not sure if it falls under hazardous waste or not. Sorry that this happened; the temperature changes during shipping most likely caused it to swell up.

alright but, i don't want to dwell on it that much, but if you put glue on the crack, it's that it was already cracked when you sent it wasn't it?

It was, when I sealed it there were no issues; I don't think that's the problem. I think there is actually another layer of foil beneath the top layer, as nothing was leaking out and it appeared solid beneath.

Back