Basic Info... :gonk:

3MZ

Okay so I have been anxious to build a N64 Portable for a while. I'm not trying to make the world's smallest N64 Portable, I just want a Portable 64 :dah: I've been reading about soldering and screens and batteries for a few months and I can easily say that I don't understand any of it. Soldering I get but there is still an ass-load of information that I'd like to know before I dive-in head first.

1. I'm probably (definately) going to use a Frankencase (I think that means a "custom" case right?) and I have a case to use, but was wondering what I should use as "glue" SS uses hot glue, but I've tried that and when ever I go to sand it down, it heats up and melts again :sweat:

2. I watched Bacteria's N64 work log on youtube so I know a little about batteries, but I was wondering, is there any way to make a N64 portable that just runs on AA's? or even 9-volts? Or really any "replacable" battery because I'm afraid that I'm going to blow myself up if I try to wire up a Li-on (or what ever) battery :(

3. Should I just jump right in on this? I've been researching about portabl-izing for FOREVER now and I still know nothing, and I thought if I just dove in head first I might end up knowing more than I thought I did. :sweat:

Thanks for all of your help ::3:

hopefully I will have a portable :something: before the summer's over :dah:

1. use epoxy. You should be needing to sand down your glue, but use epoxy.

2. If you try to run an n64p on AA batteries you will get extremely little battery life, think minutes. with 9v batteries it will be even worse. The danger of lithium cells is really alleviated by properly using a protection circuit, but if you are still concerned, use Ni-Mh batteries.

3. go for it. experience is learning. take it slowly, don't do anything you think might not work without asking first, and look at as many guides for making the thing while you are doing it as you can.

For your first time, do me a favor and don't relocate the cart slot. It'll save you a lot of effort and isn't needed to make a portable.(I know I won't if I can get my hands on another n64)

1. I'm probably (definately) going to use a Frankencase (I think that means a "custom" case right?) and I have a case to use, but was wondering what I should use as "glue" SS uses hot glue, but I've tried that and when ever I go to sand it down, it heats up and melts again

For keeping the case together, don't use hot glue. What I would suggest is buying or making some ABS cement. To find out how to make it look in the cases section of MR. You can buy it however at hardware stores in the plumbing section. Use ABS cement to hold the pieces together then use epoxy putty or glazing putty over that so it sands down nice and smooth.

2. I watched Bacteria's N64 work log on youtube so I know a little about batteries, but I was wondering, is there any way to make a N64 portable that just runs on AA's? or even 9-volts? Or really any "replacable" battery because I'm afraid that I'm going to blow myself up if I try to wire up a Li-on (or what ever) battery

I would really suggest using Li-Po's. They're a lot smaller and last longer than other types of batteries. Using AA's would work, but it's not practical. 10 AA's would give you about 1.3 hours(approximately). Also, be careful with Bacteria's videos. He does a lot of unnecessary things. I watched them when I first made my portable and it told me to bridge the reset button. I now know that that is completely ridiculous and the reset button shouldn't be bridged. But it caused my system to be in an eternal reset loop and I thought it was fried. It cost me $20.

3. Should I just jump right in on this? I've been researching about portabl-izing for FOREVER now and I still know nothing, and I thought if I just dove in head first I might end up knowing more than I thought I did.

Dive right in. It's the best way to learn.

For your first time, do me a favor and don't relocate the cart slot. It'll save you a lot of effort and isn't needed to make a portable.(I know I won't if I can get my hands on another n64)

I honestly don't see what the big problem with cartridge slot relocations is. That was the first thing I did when I started modding and it worked first time. And every time after that. I guess it isn't necessary, but it's more aesthetically pleasing than a big cartridge sticking out the back. If you want it to be relocated, try it yourself once. If you decide you can't do it there are plenty of people on Modretro who would be willing to do it for you.

Toast, relocation caused my first N64p to fail. (It was also fried, but I didn't know until later) My suggestion is to wait until you are good enough at soldering to take that on.

Thanks guys :mrgreen: (everybody here is a lot nicer than over at benheck forums :dah: ) I've got one more question, do I need to replace the original heat sinks? or can I just leave the originals in?

ToastBucket said:
I would really suggest using Li-Po's. They're a lot smaller and last longer than other types of batteries. Using AA's would work, but it's not practical. 10 AA's would give you about 1.3 hours(approximately). Also, be careful with Bacteria's videos. He does a lot of unnecessary things. I watched them when I first made my portable and it told me to bridge the reset button. I now know that that is completely ridiculous and the reset button shouldn't be bridged. But it caused my system to be in an eternal reset loop and I thought it was fried. It cost me $20.

Quote:

Are there any other good walkthrough videos besides Bacterias? His are the only ones that I've found...

For heatsinks, use VGA heatsinks. I don't have the link so maybe someone will jump in with it but you can get them on ebay. I personaly just used the big piece of metal that went over ALL of the chips and cut it down a bit.

This is from Mario's Sprocket64 but this is essentially what I did with the heat dissipator that was built into the N64.
2vagyom.jpg

Those silver blocks with holes in them that are currently on the chips, those are not heatsinks. They are heat transfer blocks, so anything you do you're going to be getting rid of those. Just remember to get some silicon paste and put some of that inbetween any heatsink and chip.

As for the videos, I would suggest watching them for a basic idea of what you're going to be doing and then find details from diagrams and asking questions either at BenHeck or here at ModRetro.

My number one bit of advice is to ask questions. About everything. Even if you know something ask about it.

So a piece of copper would work good? (I think that's what Bacteria used in his iNto64 or what ever its called)

Alright sweet. I was just going to leave the little cubes on there and probably would have fried the board without this, thanks :lol:

Back