AV cable not working

Elemental

I tried using my gamecube AV cable on my gamecube and it didn't work, but I'm not sure if my gamecube was working when I tried it or not, because I had to have a thing plugged into it to know if it was working, and I didn't try plugging that in until after I did something that I know DID break it, so I'm not sure if when I tried it with my gamecube it was just not working because it was broken or if it was because my gamecube was broken. Anyways, so I tried using it on my n64 and nothing is happening. The n64 lights up and heats up but I don't get any sound or video. I've tried this with two TV's. I opened up the AV cable and all the wires seem to be fine, except there is exposed wire around the red and black ones(not sure what the source of it is, it's kind of an optical illusion where if you look on one side it looks like its coming from the red one but as soon as you flip it over it looks like its coming from the black one and then if you try to look at a different way you really can't tell) and I'm not sure if this is supposed to be like that or not. Anyways, with the information I have I can't say for sure whether or not it's the N64 or the AV cable; Considering I'm not sure whether or not it was supposed to work with my gamecube... I can't get my N64 apart until I get some money to buy a gamebit, so that's gonna take like 3 months. Any ideas in the mean time?

Use the continuity testing part of a multimeter to check the continuity of each signal and ground from end to end on the cable. Check for shorts too while you are at it.

Back