arcade supergun

Drakon

This's actually the very first major modding project I did so I built it slowly over time improving on things as I learned how to do things better. Before I started working on this I'd already wired up a rgb to s-video encoder board. I wired it into my consoles using scart cables and a scart switch. Once this was all working I decided to get into collecting arcade pcbs and that required me to acquire a supergun since I don't like playing on cabs. I also would come across great ideas that other people had done and incorporate these ideas into my project as time went on.

I didn't feel like dropping 200$+ on a built supergun that probably wouldn't work with everything I wanted. I stared with something very simple it was just a cheap vogatek board I picked up from ebay. I think it cost me like 35$ shipped it was as cheap as you can get really. I liked the idea of using an atx port to attach a psu. I bought a cheap atx extension cable and wired the "ps on" wire into ground that way when you hit the on switch on the back of the psu the psu will turn on. There's nothing super complicated here really....video I wired into a 5 pin connector....audio is wired into a stereo jack. I keep audio seperate from video so I can unplug just the audio and plug it straight into my pcb if I'm using a pcb with stereo sound. Naturally I purchased a neo geo pcb that has sereo sound on pins instead of just on the jamma harness.

The svga ports on the front are where my sticks go. It supports up to 6 buttons for stuff like fighting games. The 4th button of my stick port is also wired into the neo geo 4th button pin on the jamma harness since that pin is otherwise unused. The kick buttons are wired through the usb ports you see sticking out of the supergun. The two top buttons are menu and 1p coin. I like working with a vogatek for a few reasons. 1: It was super cheap. 2: It comes with everything wired into common connectors so I don't have to worry so much about frying an expensive arcade pcb. 3: The jamma harness is mounted onto a small pcb which enables me to add pcb feet to it and firmly mount it into the case instead of having to find a way to have it stick out of the case and still mount onto something. Yes that's right....some pcbs like a mvs or a cps2 require the harness to really stick out and from the supergun case. I built a small clear plastic barrier around the harness that still doesn't get in the way of plugging it in. Anyway here's the pics

supergunvideo.jpg

supergunpower.jpg

supergunfront.jpg

supergunback.jpg

superguninside.jpg

And here's the main stick I'm using. It's a hrap 2 sa I bought for 60$. I took out the sanwa and replaced it with a seimitsu ls32.

hrap.jpg

I built padhacks for nes, snes, genesis, ps1, ps2, xbox 1, and using a ps1 to usb adapter I can also use this stick on my pc.

XCVG said:
Nice job. What are the USB cables for?

Drakon said:
The kick buttons are wired through the usb ports you see sticking out of the supergun.

:p

usb jacks are meant to be plugged in/unplugged frequently and they have I believe a total of 5 pins so I figured they were a good thing to use for something to quickly connect/disconnect kick buttons. For fighting games and anything that uses more than 3 buttons.

and thanks for the nice compliment

Back