Alternate Way to Power SNES without original power adapter?

xXPunisher24Xx

Hey ive gotten a Super Nintendo from a friend but he did not have the power adapter that came with it. So i was looking around for a power adapter that would work for it but i could not find any. Also the where the place you plug the adapter is a bit big and looks like nintendo tried hard to get us to use their offical adapter. So is there another way to power this thing up? By The way the SNES is the first original North American model. Thanks!

xXPunisher24Xx said:
Hey ive gotten a Super Nintendo from a friend but he did not have the power adapter that came with it. So i was looking around for a power adapter that would work for it but i could not find any. Also the where the place you plug the adapter is a bit big and looks like nintendo tried hard to get us to use their offical adapter. So is there another way to power this thing up? By The way the SNES is the first original North American model. Thanks!
the easiest way would probably be to buy a power adapter online. Wall power is AC and the SNES takes DC, so unless you plan on building a full-wave rectifier to turn 120V AC into 9V DC, buying an SNES power adapter online is probably gonna be the cheapest solution.

Just get a wall wart that puts out around 9V DC, though it has to be pretty burly (at least 850mA). Then you have three choices. You can purchase an adaptor and not modify anything. Or you could solder the power wires directly into the SNES. The third option is to install a new jack. Whatever way you do it make sure you don't mix up positive and negative.

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/ninte ... -power.htm

radioshack has the right plug tip for the snes. its made to fit their universal adapters but you can easily solder it to any 9V adapter with at least 850MA (set it to center negative polarity) i forget what the part number for it is, but you can bring your snes in and ask to have them help you find the right plug for it

make a cheap AA battery pack, and touch negative to the outer part of the jack, and positive to the inner part of the jack. I am not responsible for 9v deaths. :D

zeturi said:
make a cheap AA battery pack, and touch negative to the outer part of the jack, and positive to the inner part of the jack. I am not responsible for 9v deaths. :D
that's not a very efficient way to power a home console. "Dang it, I gotta change the batteries again!"

Hey Snow Kitty, what do you mean by "(set it to center negative polarity)" :huh:

By the way i got the tip its self that fits in at Radioshack. :happy:

xXPunisher24Xx said:
Hey Snow Kitty, what do you mean by "(set it to center negative polarity)" :huh:

By the way i got the tip its self that fits in at Radioshack. :happy:

Center negative means the center part of the plug is connected to the negative line of the power supply.

Ok. I attached a 9 volt 830ma power supply to my SNES and the red light turned on. But when i did it again i got the positive and negative wires mixed and now it does not turn on now. :dah: :hit: So my Question is What is the problem and if there is how do I fix it? :sweat:

Thanks! :dahroll:

What would be the dangers if I just removed the fuse without replacing it? :confused:
Also would fuses found in Christmas lights work with that? :D Because i have some extra. :rofl:
They are the glass type of fuse.

xXPunisher24Xx said:
What would be the dangers if I just removed the fuse without replacing it? :confused:
Also would fuses found in Christmas lights work with that? :D Because i have some extra. :rofl:
They are the glass type of fuse.
well, it depends on what type of fuse they are, and what type of fuse the snes uses. Dangers, not many, unless you're not careful.

The SNES uses a 1.5 amp fuse, so a 1 amp or 2 amp will also work. Any sort of fuse will work but some are harder to wire up. If you just bridge it your SNES will be unprotected.

Also check the 7805, you may have fried it.

If it's too much trouble, you could give the SNES to me :p

Back