A new GCp project : cube²

Si quieren ustedes puedo hablar espanol tambien ! But there s no point in this, neither in speaking french as only 3 or 4 people understand it, I'll keep english ;)
I ll have my gamecube tonight, can't wait to destroy it Moahahaha :twisted:
EDIT : It's ganna be a 4.3" 16/9 screen ! the whole gamecube should be 195*75*35 !

A little question for everybody, I plan to put a built in memory card and a "normal" one, and I don t have a 2000 blocks memory card, obviously :hit: do you think a 251 blocks memorycard is enough ? Or does it really worth it to buy such a memory card ?

Working on my audio amp, I think I have found how to do it, I just have to make some measures on a PSP to find out which voltage to use! It will have psp audio speakers and a switchable headphone jack !

Also working on my new mobos :lol: but i can t find out where I put me dremel so I m a bit late... But already started the trimming, using my custom way !

Working on how to cool the gamecube, searching a system less thick than the original one, does anybody have some measures on how high get the FLIPPER and Gekko in temperature ?

My only problem is the rumble, I want a descent one... But dont want the huge original 5V one :p

iPhone 3g rumble motor @ 3.3v works nicely imo. Built in memory cards are always gonna be a toss up. At some point either way if you play it enough, it will get full. I went with an original 251 block built in anyway.

11051505391127168.jpg

Oh, a working and slimmed Mobo ! :lol: (sorry for the big pic)
I still thing we can make it smaller on the AV side :twisted:

I will go for zenloc's regulator finally ;)
I'll command my WKF and screen in a few days.

That's just insane!

I don't see a ton of wires either, it seems like this is an easier mod when you know where to cut.

Anybody who's done and RCP mod on an n64, how would these compare?

bentomo said:
That's just insane!

I don't see a ton of wires either, it seems like this is an easier mod when you know where to cut.

Anybody who's done and RCP mod on an n64, how would these compare?

I haven't done RCP but I can already tell you this is WAY easier than RCP. The only precision soldering involves the small little data chip for the controller (I have yet to do it successfully though), but thats only a pins to solder to.

Little update/issue

The story :
I had just wired up some few things on my mobo, and :eek: it didn't work anymore :gonk:
So... I desoldered all the stuff i added (player one... I spent 1 hour on it :sweat: ) and... STILL DIDN'T WORK :eek:
So I started to play with my ground connection (only thing the wasn't soldered, that I just "put" when I needed it) and found out something strange...

If I power my gamecube (on the wall) with the ground directly soldered to the mobo (since the moment I put it on) it works... BUT, if I start the power adaptor, and THEN put the ground connection it doesn't work :wtf:

So, if someone has an explanation, I'd like to know it... I've never seen such a thing... Maybe putting the power suddenly like this change the voltage on the power board (going from 1.9V to 1.4 or something like that) and the main chips can not start up...
Anyway, it refused to start up with P1 wired up, I'll give it another try this weekend.

EDIT : going further in strange things... It now works normally :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: (I'm really disappointed)

Si queres nos ponemos todos a hablar en español, no hay ningún problema.
Suerte con tu proyecto. Saludos :rofl:

Muchas gracias :p

Little update, I worked a little bit on the design, here's a pic of what I think may be doable (very similar to the gp2x wiz) :
11052308223280563.png

Also wired up the Player one (working ;) ):
110523082428887980.jpg

Many thanks to zenloc for explaining me how to wire the transistor.
110523082502870378.jpg

The video quality is bad 'cause the R40 resistor is missing on the AV chip.

And I received my WKF but... I have to go and get it to the post office :wtf: And my screen is, for some reason, in London now :neutral2: and I'm still waiting for the TI regulators...
So the project is a little bit stopped for now, I'll start to work on the controller this weekend probably.
For now, I'm making a complete 3D version of the mobo, memcards and all that stuff, using it I may be able to find out how to make the smallest case possible !

looking good! Isn't it bad to run exposed circuits on fabrics like you've got in that picture, because the static can kill them?

I was running caseless cubes on carpet, and fried two immediately. Then, I worked on a wood surface, and have been working on the same board for months.

Seriously?? :eek: Thank's god I didn't put it on it for a while.. I'll be carefull thanks for the advise ! Usually it's on my wooden desk so I'll keep it like that.

I'm not sure if what I was just saying is true, but we might as well be careful. Hopefully someone who's less of a noob than me can confirm it, or prove me wrong.

I'll just confirm it, static kills electronics. Don't put bare electronics on a chargeable surface. Every time your order a part from mouser or digikey, the part comes in a little blue or clear plastic bag, those are anti static bags that keep the part from dying from electro static discharge.

Bare circuit boards plus carpet = a no no

SOB! No wonder my gc fried no sooner than I open'd it! :wtf:

Anyway those are great 3D designs man.one thing though.
Depending on the thickness you want the unit to be,you may have trouble fitting the analog stick on top of the L button.Ive had that issue before.

I've worked on bare carpet with zero antistatic and never had a problem. That being said, your mileage may vary and you should take precautions if possible.

It depends on the relative humidity of your environment. If you have a humid place you are working in you can probably run a cube on carpet no problem, because the moisture in the air prevents it the carpet from easily holding a charge. But that being said, it's always best to work on electronics in a nice anti-static environment.

Back