YP B P R to RGBHV Converter

Ashen

GameCube Révolutionary
Akira found this and posted it over in Bacland. Looks handy.

http://www.ti.com/product/lmh1251

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lmh1251.pdf

fbd_snls193i.gif

custom_diagram_1_LMH1251.gif

EDIT:

Alternatively, you can buy this thing and take the pre assembled chip out of it:

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-PS3-VGA-HDTV- ... B0015MISAG

You are *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing amazing. Why have I never found this?

ttsgeb said:
You are *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing amazing. Why have I never found this?

Very useful for XBOXEN I think. ;)

I ordered 2. So many projects....

EDIT: Here's a pic of the board inside the cable I linked to. All cred to Akira for the find and the diagram. :D

DSC03198.jpg

Didn't read the datasheet, but from the pinouts, it looks like you can have it automatically/manually select between RGB and component input. So besides using it in a portable/laptop, it could make a handy little converter box to slap on the back of an LCD to add component input and not have to unplug to switch back to VGA.

So the above pinout of the A/V cable board is totally wrong. I hadn't really looked at it close until my board came today. Took me a few minutes to deduce what was really what. This thing works Dang nice, I have to say.

Anyway, here's a correct pin out. Component input for this board only. (YPBPR)

Untitled-7.png

Outputs are pretty clearly marked right on the board. The stuff I have slashed out are just passthru's, and not needed for our typical applications here.

I've been trying very hard for a week now to not buy this. Yeah. That's not happenin'

Thank you Ashen, you just convinced me to spend *counts* about $40... :p

I'll keep everyone updated on if the xbox still outputs bullflax through vga with this thing, and how good I think it does at conversion.

Because I am also curious and I was going to anyway, I dig out all my XBox flax today to help you test. I've got a whole 250gb HDD already full to the brim with games to test.

IMG_0238.jpg

The lack of decent VGA support is really what put me off from finishing this. So maybe now I'll be more inclined to pick this project back up soonish.

I think, like all the other consoles this thing can convert video on, as long as we have a progressive component signal going to it, it will display everything fine. The reason the old VGA mod on the XBox was wonky was because it relied on software to do the conversion (hacked flashed bios) and it didn't play nice with certain games. This converter however should play every single game 100% as far as the XBox will be able to tell, its just putting out component video.

So I wired this thing up to my XBox today and did a quick test. I've either got something wired wrong (I wired all this a long time ago, so not sure). Or the bios I have flashed to my XBox currently doesn't play nice with component video output, as I'm getting video but the colors are not right. I'm also getting some faint scrolling lines on the output. A symptom of things not being 100% right I'm sure, as the video output I got from my PS2 with this thing was absolutely beautiful. Anyway:

IMG_0241.jpg

I'll do some trouble shooting in the next few days as my time right now is super limited. Set my Box to output both 480p and 720p and both convert fine as far as video resolution goes. Both settings output a beautiful picture, besides the colors not being correct.

The only bad thing (I had suspected this beforehand) is that the XBox's boot and bios screens don't display in progressive mode. So you'll get no picture at boot up until a game loads if your VGA monitor does not support 15khz VGA signals. 3rd party dashboards such as Evox or UnleashX DO display in progressive though, so if you've soft/tsop modded you'll be fine once your 3rd party dashboard loads.

More testing... tomorrow...

I got my cables in today...

When I ran Fable, I got a wonky screen. The top 1/3 or so was like half of an interlaced image and repeated about twice horizontally
Then I had noise, then a more distorted image, then more noise... or something like that...

Everything else seemed to work fine.

Here's my question for you, Ashen: When you ran Fable, what dash was it launched from?

When I launched from hdd using my modded dash having 720p enabled, I had this issue.
Now I'm wondering if I just need to go dig my disk back out, frowning at what could have been.

Also, where did you source your power from? I'm trying to make a guide to build a cable, and if my slight noise issues are because of the 5v vcc line intended for TOSLINK cables; I need to re-think some things.

I launched everything from the unleashx dash and I pulled my 5v right fron the video port. I did put a 100uf cap on the power line and that helped eliminate some of the interference I was getting.

Just cracked one of mine open. I have a different revision board, apparently. This one has two chips on it. Delicious.

wp001450.jpg

ttsgeb said:
Just cracked one of mine open. I have a different revision board, apparently. This one has two chips on it. Delicious.

wp001450.jpg

Hey ttsgeb, ive been seeing your work on your xbox laptop, its pretty cool :D anyways what i really wanted to ask is :

You see this adapter/converter thing, did you have to solder individual ground wires for red blue and green, or did you just solder one ground wire to the PCB for all of them?

also, if you can, can you tell me what points you soldered on this diagram : http://www.dreamcastbr.com/xbox_video_c ... outtr0.png

It uses a common ground, so only one wire.

for input, you just use component video.

Ashen, I had one of these cables lying around and I tried this mod today. I decided I would just try my luck and do it on a stock Xbox however I only get an output when I plug it into my tv, all my monitors say that the input cannot supported. This, I assume is because it is outputting a 15khz signal. I was wondering if you could tell me what mods you have done to your Xbox like if you have nodded bios and if so which one. Thanks in advance Ashen

The problem is that it's not getting enough power to work. You need to hook up an external 5v supply. I just attached a usb cable to it, and plugged it into a spare phone charger.

Sorry for the bump, but I have a question related to this chip.
If used on the GameCube, how will it display on VGA monitors? I specifically want to use the GameCube on a monitor that only supports 31khz VGA. Will this cable still output 15khz at 480i like the component cable itself?

Scanning over the datasheets, it looks like you'll probably be alright with it, assuming you get the same chip and I'm not an idiot.
Both of these are assumptions you shouldn't make without weighing the potential consequences first.

Back