YAY PERIPHERALS!

bentomo

Frequent Poster
What is up my hommies! Sorry about no recent updates, I've been doing some work on the wingman though. ;)

Recently school and gaming have been taking up my time, I got a job and classes are getting tougher so portable time is minimal. But anyway, I need to pick the final pieces of my gaming rig. Everything is set up great. The only thing I'm missing is a good peripheral setup.

My current ones are pitiful.

(illuminated) standard keyboard that likes to cut out, no brand name at all on it, just an fcc sticker.
headset is $15 and already has tape on the headpiece, bought it about a month ago.
And my mouse is a logitech wireless desktop mouse that comes with a keyboard too, but he keyboard is just bad.

So basically my peripherals suck and need to be replaced, especially after all the money i've thrown into my rig.

TL:DR DOWN HERE

Now I've already chosen my headset and mouse, a rat 5 mouse by saitek, and the logitech g35 for headset.

I'm just stuck on choosing the keyboard. I can't decide between these two:

Saitek Cyborg

And the

Logitech G15

Suggestions?

Both suck.

Keyboards are keyboards are keyboards.

Know the difference between either of those and a $6 Dell keyboard?
LEDs, that's about IT.

You want to get serious about keyboards?
Get a mechanical.
Buckling Spring are the grand-daddy, IBM Model M, Unicomp Model M, etc.
Cherry Switches are getting popular, Das Keyboard.

But unless you're going that route, no reason to buy a fancy light-up keyboard over a $6 one.

The only reasons people buy fancy "gaming" keyboards:

1. Dedicated macro keys (they can't/won't configure advanced in-game controls)
2. OOH SHINY
3. They don't know any better and buy into the marketing hype
4. "I only buy professional gamer keyboards for professional gamers such as myself
2a69ru1.gif
" (Also known as e-wang.)

You're better off spending around $20 for a quality, comfortable keyboard.

bassmasta said:
*cough*ghosting*cough*
What?

G15. Cool, but not overly excessive.

What jlee said is at least partially true. However, the mechanical are only worth getting if you are a hardcore typist. I wouldn't go as far as a $6 keyboard, but I wouldn't spend over $100 either. That said, gaming keyboards are cool, and get you quite a bit of street cred.

All I have to say is that I am really up tight about my keyboards, but still have no idea what is what, making it impossible to buy stuff ;_;

I can game on pretty much any keyboard except those generic HP desktop keyboards. I still have an old Dell PS/2 keyboard and it works just fine for gaming.

jleemero said:
Know the difference between either of those and a $6 Dell keyboard?
LEDs, that's about IT.

That's why I'm not getting a razor keyboard. I'm just looking for a quality keyboard that will last a long time, and I figured to get a light up one for gaming because I can only touch type on the qwerty keys. And I've noticed a significant difference in typing on higher quality keyboards.

But a fancy shiny keyboard isn't necessarily made any better than an OEM throwaway. (And pretty much all of them use the same rubbery carbon contact system nowadays, except for really high end keyboards that cost hundreds.) About $25 will get you a good Microsoft or Logitech.

I really need to get a new keyboard. I like the feel of this one, but it has a *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ed up home/end cluster and dual-function F keys.

Yeah, my friend's IBM keyboard has that issue with W and space, impossible to play minecraft on >_>

As a hardcore PC gamer, I can tell you that the "ghosting" thing can be a real Sega for certain games. The PC version of Assassin's Creed for instance. You basically cannot play with the default controls with a cheapass keyboard. Maybe the cheaper keyboards have improved these days, I'm not sure. It's been a few years since I've had to use one for any length of time. I've had a wireless Logitech one for a few years now and will not stop using it until it dies. I love it. I'd tell you the model number but the sticker on the back has rubbed off.

One thing I will say, about the two in the first post, is that the G15 would definitely not work for me. I rest my pinky beside the left shift button when playing any WASD-based game. Doesn't appear to be room for that on the G15. Might be comfortable resting it between the gaps of those G4 and G5 keys, but that's a little higher than I usually rest it. Not sure. Might not be an issue for you though.

The Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 I linked you to, which I use, has no problems with ghosting unless you're pressing like ten keys at a time, and I doubt you'd ever need to do that.

Back