YAP64- XCVG's N64p

XCVG

ModRetro Legend
Well, it's been over a year, and it's finally done.

20r2rf6.jpg

After I nearly gave up due to a loose cart slot wire (it was hard to find, really!) I finished it quickly so I could take it to school before it ended for the year. This thing is massive, heavy, and awkward, not to mention just plain ugly. But I put a lot of work into it, and I'm still proud of my accomplishment.

Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=493

(crap quality, sorry, will reupload soon)

Features (in random order):
-3.5" TFT LCD (small but pretty good)
-NUS-CPU-08 motherboard (lightly trimmed)
-ZN-40 case with huge lump
-jumper pak (all I had, and an expansion pak wouldn't fit anyway)
-SuperPad Plus controller board, heavily trimmed
-Initial DVD player battery and PCB
-can play and charge simultaneously (with powerful enough adaptor)
-DualShock shoulder buttons with twin Z
-XBOX stick caps, one XBOX and one DualShock stick
-switchable sticks for playing Goldeneye
-stereo sound with volume control
-two power switches
-unconnected dock connector and useless switch
-dubiously effective heatsink setup

Feel free to criticize and slam it all you wish. After all, I do it to everyone else. plz dont be 2 mean, i get sad and eat more & get sadder

I like it. After all, you finished a portable, right? I am curious, though, what that useless switch was originally intended for.

The longest crap you ever took. :p

Nah, it has charm. Heavy as *Can'tSayThisOnTV*, ugly, and hard to hold.

Exactly like a first portable turns out. :D

SS

I like it. I've given up on three or four projects without finishing them so you're a better man than me! :tophat: Good stuff. This will make you even more motivated for number two.

βeta said:
flax sandwich.

Make a better one.
No need to be honest. :p

Just kidding, XCVG. My first portables case wasn't too great, either.

Good thing I abandoned it and built a different one. :XD:

I probably won't build another one. Don't have enough monies. Though I've been toying with building a crap Genesis portable.

I like the XCVG-like responses.

Anyway, great portable. It's done and over with, right? :lol:

Adding to the megasticky.

*Can'tSayThisOnTV* yeah seaking! Hey, at least it works. It really doesn't matter what it looks like. What kind of battery life do you get?

flax, I hate it. Absolutely *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing flax.

This thing is *Can'tSayThisOnTV* on a Sega sandwhich.

/XCVG

Good enough for a first.

Dang, there seems to be an internal short or something that causes the battery protection to trip. Going to have to open it up and fix it.

And thanks for the nice compliments!

seriously, why did you even bother posting this in the condition its in? Sand it, paint it, and come back here when you're ready to present a real project.

:awesome:

Well, not sure if there is an internal short or not. I pushed the charge plug in and broke the jack off. Now it's loose inside the back section. So I have to open it up. Maybe I should use something better than hot glue this time.

I like it. It has charm. If that really was your first portable, you've got nothing to worry about. I've seen some really terrible first portables. Including my own first one.

Also, love the second stick idea.

Shockslayer said:
The longest crap you ever took.
I loled so hard at that.

Well, you finally finished this. Probably the longest WIP thread on Modretro. Good job man.

Now...for designer_noob and his portable...

Necropost FTW!

There seems to be something seriously wrong with YAP64. It won't hold a charge- I charged it the other day and now it's dead. I'm going to try charging it again, but it's not just tripping the protection circuit. Something is discharging the battery. I suspect it has something to do with my sneaky wiring for play and charge. There may be a short or something in there as well. I may open it up if I get around to it.

The good(ish) news is that I'm planning to build a second. I just don't know when I'll start. I have only one extra N64 (though I may have a working board as well) and I need another screen. I do have batteries, but no charger. I plan to put it all in an AG-85 or a computer game case (I have both). I don't have a lot of money right now and I kind of waste it as soon as I get it, so this probably won't happen until after this summer.

:wtf:

There's no way in Heck that's just a coincidence. Not right down to the specific acronym. Especially not after you posted yours. Your original worklog with that specific name was on Benheck, even, not here where he would probably never have seen it.

Hopefully he'll own up and rename his work, but either way, that's just shameful. You have a right to be angry, I think.

But then again, why copy your portable's name? Heck, why copy any portable's name? He has the skill to make some nice stuff -- surely he could come up with an original name. ಠ_ಠ

I LOL'd hardcore at Mako's comment, by the way.

mako321 said:
http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3485
Nice portable, it really keeps to the same theme as your others.

Back