XCVG's Bartop Candy Cab [2015 Hardware Upgrade!]

Re: XCVG's Bartop Candy Cab

No CP overlay. The way it goes together, there's no way to put it in. That and I don't want to spend $50 on something that's going to get ruined anyway.

Also, got my parts in today. Pics... tomorrow.

candytop-1.gif

so, I had another go.. :tophat:
Again, if you want adjustments or something entirely different, ask again :lol:

It looks good, but it just doesn't look right. It would look good on a normal cab, but just doesn't seem right for a candy. I like idea, but without the scanlines and with straight text. Some glow effect would be a better idea.

Yeah, I'm always this OCD. Take a look at my YAP64 worklog and you'll see what I mean.

Yeah, I'm always this OCD
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/499695

have fun :dahroll:

and as for the banner,

candytop2.gif

ta dah :dah:

I didn't think you'd want the result to be too minimalist, so I added a line or two :dah:

same terms apply :pirate:
Wasn't sure if you wanted to glow the lines, but I thought it added to the feel of the thing :tophat:

also, you can put paper under plexiglass, and if you want heat gun the sides. If you're really worried, laminate it first..

I like it, but the font seems a little off. Other than that, it's good.

As for CP art, not going to bother. I don't want to pay to have it printed, because I'm cheap, and the way the CP is going to be built there's nowhere for it to go anyway.

Because I don't have that kind of font, I ripped it from your banner.. :awesome:

Here you go.

candytop3.gif

Enjoy. :)

βeta said:
Your lines are different thicknesses. :U
That's because I made it that way, and the OCD XCVG doesn't seem to mind one bit :tophat:

:U

2r2x47t.jpg

2l92kk6.jpg

14yadc6.jpg

29cwfgk.jpg

246801l.jpg

ncl92a.jpg

maxw82.jpg

1498k86.jpg

The mini-keyboard is from a different place. It doesn't work with the old computer I'm using, so I think I'm going to use a flexible one instead. If all else fails, I can hack up a normal one to allow it to boot and swap cables with a real one for actual use. The 1.5ft network cable and coupler is so I can put a network job on the back. Easier than my other plan, which was to hack up a cable and buy a jack to go with it.

I've screwed with the picture of the package so you can't read my address, but you can see that they used a lot of stamps. Yes, stamps. That's a bit odd. Anyway, it was well wrapped with pink bubble wrap and smelled Japanese. Inside there was a bag with the buttons in it, stuck upside-down onto two pieces of tape (presumably to protect them). They are small Seimitsu 24mm buttons (don't remember the part number). The sticks are LS-32s with white balltops. Both sticks were wrapped and the balls were wrapped separately. All of the parts feel good quality. The buttons are smaller than I expected but they will be fine. Much different than American buttons. These are really quiet with not a lot of travel. I haven't played enough in arcades to comment much on the stick; the differences are more subtle. I ordered circular restrictors but don't need them as the stick is already fairly circular.

I've also figured out the CP. The actual controls will be mounted on hardboard, with an MDF piece full of holes glued or otherwise attached to the back. The thing is that the buttons aren't that thick and the stick has a short shaft.

I was bored, so:

2zi8mkj.jpg

And YAP64 is being a Sega, so I'm leaving it for a while, which means that this project is now my priority. The bad news is that my dad and his friend are basically trying to hijack what was my own project. It was originally conceived separately from the joint project full-size one, made to MY specifications, built by ME- you get the picture.

It's late and I'm tired.

SMALL UPDATE!

b6r2gp.jpg

Marquee light. It was the only cheap and small enough one, battery powered. No problem.

20pxb9j.jpg

Got a flexible keyboard. It should work, but I need to find a place on the cab to put it.

105bb50.png

This basically illustrates the problem I've having right now. Where the Heck do I put the fans for cooling? It might be possible to put one or two 80mm fans on the back, beside the motherboard, and maybe a fan on top of the tower. The computer is going to be on the door, with a little frame of some sort to support the videocard and hold the hard drive. It's designed to be upgradable, because I want but don't have a better computer that can play SF4 and emulate Dreamcast.

20p94r9.jpg

Keep the mobo dangling in midair, have fans and vents n' stuff on the back plate, sides, etc.
PS, nice foot.

Okay, am I the only one that thinks dangling a moderately heavy motherboard with a pretty heavy videocard on it is a bad idea? And I can't just shove vents everywhere; it has to look nice. I think I'll put a fan on the top tower, moving the light forward, and one or two beside the motherboard on the back.

Also, yeah, that foot is like my best friend.

Built the proper control panel. I actually built a prototype first, then the real one which is on thicker hardboard. I screwed up and now P2 has pause and back buttons too. I was going to just use the old prototype one (which isn't that flexy and I can reinforce it) but my dad was like "NO DOOD DO IT PROPERLY OR IT'LL BE flaxE" or something like that. Damnit, I just wanted help, not total domination.

My Dad used to always be messing with my projects without so much as asking for permission. You need to do what I did and get tough, and you need to tell your dad that though you appreciate that he's trying to help, this is your project, not his or anyone else's, and you want to do this yourself, your own way, and that if you need help, you'll ask for it.

Back