Xbox 360 WVI HD

lexxion83

Hello all,

I have been working on it for about a month. This is a bigger and better version of my previous Xbox 360 WVI but in HD !!!! I think this is the first one that uses wireless HDMI kit :) . Here are the specs:

1. 8.9" LED LCD Screen with 1024x600 resolution
2. Stereo Audio Amp 2 Watts per channel (Built into LCD controller board)
3. Gigabyte Skyvision Wireless HDMI Kit (WHDI technology. Uncompressed HDMI + 5.1 Audio with less than 1ms latency)
4. New Xbox 360 Wireless controller
5. 30mm fan with 2 speed control (5V-Low or 12V-High) controllable with a switch
6. Polou voltage regulator for Wireless HDMI power supply (5V@3.5Amp)
7. Custom Xbox 360 controller board. Big Thanks to RDC for providing this board.
8. Audio output either to built in speakers or Headphone jack (100ohm@.5W resistors applied for headphones)
9. Power putton
10. Extended Controller synch button and guide button (2 front buttons)
11. HDMI to VGA + Audio converter (Powereless!!!)
12. Rustoleum Semi-Gloss Black and Gloss Orange (Painter's Touch Edition)
13. Custom made case from 6 pieces of 2mm ABS plastic sheets.

So the whole thing is no really that big but the playing experience is AWESOME!!!! You get perfect pixel mapping on the screen, the sound is great, the controller is comfortable to hold. I did not include a battery for few reasons. Once was the space, the size of battery (it had to be 12V or close to it b/c of the LCD controller board, the Wireless HDMI transmitter current draw is pretty big at 5V), BUT the biggest concert would be the total weight of the system. I played on it for 2 hours straight and no problems with heat. The air intakes are beneath each controller handle and the fan sucks the air mostly from there and blows the hot air out. I will test it for a longer period of time a little bit later. The case was made from 6 pieces of ABS plastic 2mm thick. It was very easy to make a small cut and they break it off. It was actually fun making a case. I cut all sides to fit and then made a posts from 6mm square ABS rods. The controller sides have removable buttom so I can replace any parts needed. This should also work on PC since you can connect Xbox 360 controller to PC via adapter and video cards have HDMI out.

Credits to: RDC

RDC provided me with 3 xbox 360 controller boards. All I had to do is re solder the components from original board and put them on his. Then connect all the traces. Without his boards, this would take much, much longer.

The videos:

Part 1 - Overview

There is not interference on the display even though some pictures might show vertical lines. It is just a camera :)

Enjoy the pictures:

DSC_0981.JPG

DSC_0963.JPG

DSC_0964.JPG

DSC_0965.JPG

DSC_0966.JPG

DSC_0967.JPG

DSC_0968.JPG

DSC_0969.JPG

DSC_0970.JPG

DSC_0971.JPG

DSC_0972.JPG

DSC_0973.JPG

DSC_0974.JPG

DSC_0976.JPG

DSC_0977.JPG

DSC_0979.JPG

Looks great! Sorta makes me want to make one. (On the other hand, your screenshots look weird to me because my xbox is still on the blades dashboard because I haven't used it in so long.)

Hows the range on the transmitter? I could see myself using such a thing if the range is good.

Since I do not stream FULL 1920x1080 but 1024x768 even at 2 bars (the receiver displays strength info on the screen in the form of 5 bars) it still looks really good. And that is through one wall. about 10-15 m away.

Transmitter Specs:

Wireless Technology WHDI 1.0
Host Interface HDMI (Type A)
Video quality uncompressed
Video resolution HD: 480p,576p,720p,1080i, 1080p/60Hz
PC: VGA (640x480), SVGA (800x600), XGA (1024x768), SXGA (1280x1024)
Panel: 1280x768, 1366x768, 1920x1080
Audio Up to 18Mbps audio stream
5.1 channel, up to 48KHz 24 Bit, AC3 and DTS
Operating frequency 5.1GHz to 5.8GHz
Range Up to 10 meters (Line of sight)* (transmission quality varies with the environment)
Latency < 1ms
Power supply TX: 5V micro USB cable(female)
RX: 5V , 2A micro USB power cable
I/O port TX: HDMI port*1
Micro USB*1
RX: HDMI port*1
DC-In*1
Dimensions TX: 93x32x15.3 mm (LxWxH)
RX: 93x82x32 mm (LxWxH)

I tried to make controls ergonomic. We all know how good Xbox 360 controller feels :). The controls are right in the middle and the weight of internal components is distributed equally. When you hold it there is no feeling that top/buttom/left/right is heavier than the other. It feels great.

Nice job man. That HDMI to VGA converter looks to do a Dang nice job. Linky plz?

The color scheme was inspired by the COD: Black Ops 2 :) (The sign in the back)

About the weight. It is hard to tell. The LCD Screen and Wireless HDMI receiver weight the most. Total weight I am unsure of. I do not have an accurate scale to measure. But it holds comfortable in two hands. I will try to measure it somehow.

Very cool creation. Well done. :) Sorry if I missed it, but what is the range on it?

How did you attach the controller to the case? Seems like you would need an additional brace to hold the controller halves in place.

G-force said:
Very cool creation. Well done. :) Sorry if I missed it, but what is the range on it?

How did you attach the controller to the case? Seems like you would need an additional brace to hold the controller halves in place.

Transmitter Specs:

Wireless Technology WHDI 1.0
Host Interface HDMI (Type A)
Video quality uncompressed
Video resolution HD: 480p,576p,720p,1080i, 1080p/60Hz
PC: VGA (640x480), SVGA (800x600), XGA (1024x768), SXGA (1280x1024)
Panel: 1280x768, 1366x768, 1920x1080
Audio Up to 18Mbps audio stream
5.1 channel, up to 48KHz 24 Bit, AC3 and DTS
Operating frequency 5.1GHz to 5.8GHz
Range Up to 10 meters (Line of sight)* (transmission quality varies with the environment)
Latency < 1ms
Power supply TX: 5V micro USB cable(female)
RX: 5V , 2A micro USB power cable
I/O port TX: HDMI port*1
Micro USB*1
RX: HDMI port*1
DC-In*1
Dimensions TX: 93x32x15.3 mm (LxWxH)
RX: 93x82x32 mm (LxWxH)

Only the top half of the controller was glued to the side. The buttom halfs are holding with the screws. I did this so in case I have to replace analog sticks I do not have to break it. I bought all my case building supplies from www.hobbylinc.com including the glue and filler. The glue I bought is really, really strong. I guess it tries to melt ABS plastic at the joints to make it seem like one continuous piece.

Back