WTB - What the Battery?

Hello GameCube Modders!

Right now I am in the planning phase for my GCP, and I want to know what you have done with your battery setup.

I want to have a built-in rechargeable battery to power my GCP. I am guesstimating that I can run my GCP off of a 12v Battery, and have it run for around 2-4 hours (+ or -).

What would I do if I wanted to have a battery which could last for 2-4 hours, could be rechargeable with an AC adaptor, and could have an LED battery indicator (Reminiscent of a MacBook Battery indicator).

What battery would I want to buy?

What type of Battery? (Li-po/Poly)

Would I need a charge protection circuit? If so, which one?

AND, How should I go about having a charge level indicator? (Press a button, have batt level show up on row of LED's)

I am not a complete FNG when it comes to electronics, however I would like to get my facts straight about rechargeable batteries for my GCP.

I would like to see what solutions you guys have come up with. Thank you!

A GCp is going to pull around 1.5-2 Ah of power, so a 4000mah battery will give around 2 hours while an 8000mah will give around 4. It's a good idea to get all your parts together then measure how much power you will need.

The simplest way I can put it is take the sum of the watts of all of your parts including the motherboard. Then decide the total watts by the volts of your battery, yours would be 12v, and you'll get how much mah will give your portable for an hour.

To be honest though, batteries are something that you want to worry about at the end of your project.

There are two types of cells you can get. Flat and cylindrical, both have their ups and downs but it mostly comes down to how much space do you have.

To get more info on batteries, check out the stickies in the Voltages section and you can go over to batteryspace.com which is where everyone on here gets their batteries from.

It's a good idea to have your casing with all your components inside and working so you know how much space you'd have to work with.

Back