Would people be interested in 3D print commissions?

bentomo

Frequent Poster
So I was thinking that while I love my printer, it's not always in use. And why not share awesome prints with those of modretro?

So, would people be interested in me making a 3D print commissioning thread in the junkyard. Essentially people can pm me their STLs and I can give them an estimate for the print. I'm not looking to make a huge profit, just enough to make back the cost of the printer maybe in a couple months.

I'm making this thread to find how many would be genuinely interested and the demand. Do I need to buy more plastic or get an assembly line going etc.

For a whole case prints would probably cost around $40-$50 on average. This covers plastic, potential failed prints, maintenance, time to get the print, and shipping most likely. You would get an exact price before I started the print and you would ok it first.

I'd only being doing this at modretro and SSF because I would get spammed anywhere else and I just want to increase my activity here.

So anyone interested? Thoughts? Worth it? Input is welcome.

I say it's a fantastic idea. I can always think of little pieces I need for some figure or project that would take a little planning to make by hand, whereas printing seems like a simpler, more accurate approach. (Not personally sure about shapeways, by the way. But working with someone who is active in your own forums adds to that accessibility factor)

Until use of these is more widespread, I love the idea of those who have them helping out their fellow community. It's also helping you make your own purchase more cost worthy. Win-win.

Sounds interesting. It would be nice to have pictures of some sample prints with approximate cost to give a good idea what something will cost before taking the time to draw it up or find a file.

I've finally moved into my semi permanent school apartment that has it's own work room. I'll be printing an alpha gamecube portable case and I'll do some calculations and show people what the cost would be/time it took etc for that size case.

It is a reprap pro so it doesn't have the same resolution as say a maker bot 2 but after an acetone bath the stuff is incredibly strong. Definitely stronger than any vacuum forming I've ever done.

Updates coming by mid next week then. ;)

I'd be into a "Filament Potluck" exchange kinda deal (if you are also running at 1.75mm), maybe cut a 1kg spool into 4 equal parts and trade with each other for different colors. I want to print some yoshis and maybe a Sims Plumbob or two but I can't fathom using a whole spool of ugly ass green just by myself. :p

I'd also like to see some before and after acetone bath pictures (are you doing the vapor method?), a process I might consider commissioning you for since I'm unnecessarily afraid to do it myself. Mine prints at .2mm though so tbh I kind of like the extruded texture.

Hot a snag in the printing. My new basement is very cold and the bed isn't staying hot enough. I got some old plexiglass from work and im goin to be gluing fiberglass or some type of insulation to it to keep the bed warm.

I'd totally be down for this. I just recently started designing some stuff I'd like to be made for a project and was thinking of asking around for some rapid prototyping to be done. You've got impeccable timing.

Small update, I got a new power supply from work that was being recycle due to its failing 3.3v line. My heatbed still takes a long time to get going but it can actually get to the temp without out any insulation. I'll be working on an enclosure next to help trap the heat. Below is a gamecube portable test print, the text on the back didn't come out so well and it did warp as this was printed before i added the power supply. As soon as the enclosure is ready I'll probably be ready to take commissions.

20140715_232334_zpshqijdhzb.jpg

20140713_223910_zpsaccso9x1.jpg

I'm very interested. I'm wondering, could I have the STL (is that what it's called?) made as well? Because all I know how to do is 2D images with CAD software.

Blargaman91 said:
I'm very interested. I'm wondering, could I have the STL (is that what it's called?) made as well? Because all I know how to do is 2D images with CAD software.

STL is just a file format where no model creation takes place; it just communicates the geometry & the part's instructions to the 3DPrinter or CNC machine. What CAD program do you use? Most of them have shell features that can easily "hollow out" extruded 2D models and can natively convert objects directly to STL formats.

Getting a 3D model made would be a different story all together. It would depend on how well the person can use their modeling software and the time it takes to make the model. that's usually the most time consuming process of printing something.

I use SolidWorks for my CAD stuff, though I got it free through University. Bit fiddly in the beginning but got the hang of it after a week.
attachment.php

I would be down to get a case printed, my brother and I have been working on a case for awhile. Not just the case though, but also the buttons. I will have to get ahold of my brother for all the files but I know I should have the case itself.

Back