Wires

So this may sound kinda stupid but..... I'm building an n64p and I dont know what type of wires to use... To be honest I know the remainder of things for portablizing, but I don't know crap when it comes to wires. I know HOW to wire, but what kind of wire would I use for n64 portablizing? Maybe someone can post me a link to a set of wires that are good to use?
Thank you.

Any kind of wires would do the job... but I can suggest you to use flexible ones so they don't desolder. My favorite ones are floppy cables, like that:

a703c27e8309aaf11ae8cc88f15cd41a.jpg

It's 40 cables, so you can just seperate them, for me, it's the best!

If you want to use other cables, you better go directly in a store so you can test flexibility of the cables! And the best is awg 26, for me at least! :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

So I dont need specific wires for ground and specific ones for positive? I can get a bunch of the same type of wire and use all of it for ANY wire I use in my portable? For example, if I am relocating the cartridge, I can use all of the same type of wire? Or if I am wiring a fan, I dont need a red wire or something for positive and a black for negative/ground? Or are colors just for organizing purposes so that you know which wires are which?

Bmdward9753 said:
Or are colors just for organizing purposes so that you know which wires are which?
Yes.

The only thing that really matters is how thick the wires are, which determines how much current they can handle. The ribbon cable will work fine for everything but the power wires, which will need to be a little thicker.

vskid3 said:
Bmdward9753 said:
Or are colors just for organizing purposes so that you know which wires are which?
Yes.

The only thing that really matters is how thick the wires are, which determines how much current they can handle. The ribbon cable will work fine for everything but the power wires, which will need to be a little thicker.

Thanks vskid3, but is there a specific type of wire that you prefer for n64 portablizing? (And when I say type, I dont mean brand, what thickness wire/gauge).

IDE/hard drive/floppy/whatever-you-want-to-call-it would be fine for everything but power. Don't buy it new, get it from an old/dead computer. I'm not sure what the minimum gauge would be for power, but 20 gauge should be plenty. You can buy that at Radioshack, I think it even comes in packs with different colors, so you can color coordinate it.

I recommend using basic strands of multi-strand copper wire, or whatever it's called because they come in colors. I use different colors for different circuts. For example, if you're doing a N64 portable, I'd do, like vskid3 said, red as positive power, black as negative/ground, yellow for video, white for audio, and something else for controls.

Sorry for bringing this topic up again guys, but I never really thought about what you guys meant when you said 22 awg for power. Did you mean power as in the 12v line, or other connections as well?
Thanks.

Back