Windows 8

was thinking about updating to windows 8 sometime maybe this summer. Anyone have it on there machines? and if so what do you guys think of it?

I use it on my daily laptop and have no complaints. I have a 5400rpm HDD and pull ~16 second cold boots. It's pretty cash.

I've found it basically unusable for anybody who's used a Windows computer before. However, it does have a lot of optimizations that make it faster and lighter.
I stick with Windows 7.

Windows 8.1 will fix a number of problems people have with 8, but even if you don't like it you can remove metro for all intents and purposes, leaving a faster and sleeker windows 7.

Personally I have few issues with metro, if anything it has encouraged more use of the start menu which otherwise was simply a means to get to "my computer" or "control panel" in the past.

I install in on my new builds religiously. It's much, much faster than Windows 7, even on flaxty hardware.

Metro is... ehh... let's just say that on my one Windows 8 PC, a media centre, it's been completely banished. You basically need to install a third-party Start Menu and do some other tweaks to get Windows 8 to a usable state. Even with Metro gone, it's still annoying. They got rid of some features which I use A LOT, and some things are more of a pain in the ass and/or don't work properly. With that being said, if you never do any actual work Metro is fine, and Windows 8 does have a few cool new features. Better performance in theory, but I've never seen it.

If you're happy with Windows 7, stay with Windows 7. If you really want to try Windows 8, try it in a VM or with someone else's PC before you redo your primary computer. If you've bought a new machine with Windows 8, it's generally good enough to stick with.

Personally, I'm sticking with Windows 7 for the time being. I recently reformatted my desktop- on went Windows 7, even though 8 had been around for months. I may get a new laptop soon, though, depending on if my current one dies or not, and it will likely be Win8. If there's an option to downgrade, I probably will. I really hate Win8, but some of my friends are okay with it.

I really want to get it for my laptop but, the price for it is rediculous. Can you only upgrade by buying a copy or will computer stores upgrade your machine for a decent price?

Does one of the third party start menus have an XP option? I thought I read something about that and I hate change, especially after 12 years of the same stuff.

I don't care what anybody says, I *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing love metro.

671s48.png

misfitslayer1 said:
I really want to get it for my laptop but, the price for it is rediculous. Can you only upgrade by buying a copy or will computer stores upgrade your machine for a decent price?
What do you mean? An OEM copy is $100 and and upgrade is $120 (on Newegg). A computer store will probably charge at least that much because they still have to buy the license. The only way to get it cheaper is a student discount or pirate it.

I've tried 8 a bit and I just can't get used to Metro, it doesn't make sense to me. However, everything else seemed pretty good. I wouldn't be opposed to buying a new computer that came with it (and using a program to give me the start button), but it isn't worth upgrading to it, in my opinion.

I would like it more if I could have Metro AND a Start menu. Seriously. MS needs to learn to Coexist.

Metro is great as a expanded quick launch dash, but for a lot of things the start menu wins hands down.

^ This.
Metro looks like it could be a good "frontend," per se, but I like having all of my programs in one spot.

Metro doesn't work for me. It's fine if you only do one thing at once. My usage habits involve having a lot of flax open at one time, and quickly launching more applications. Metro is not conducive to either of those things. Running in Metro rather than the Desktop is out, and using Metro to launch apps causes me to lose context (hard to describe).

And then there's the whole Desktop/Metro segregation thing. There's no fluidity between the two. The taskbar disappears, the Metro app switcher displays all Desktop apps under Desktop, and you can't run Metro apps in windows (without mods). Some things kick you from the Desktop into Metro, or from Metro to the Desktop.

At times times I'm left wondering if Metro is supposed to be a whole new environment or just a new app launcher.

With that being said, it's fine if all you do is browse the internet. Though I question the utility of the Bing app.

nterror said:
I don't care what anybody says, I *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing love metro.

671s48.png
Ooh, did you make that Minecraft tile yourself? Oh, and what program did you use to get the longer tile for it?

I used Pin Steam from the Windows Store. It allows you to pin Steam apps to your Start Menu, and I got Minecraft and the emulators and such on there by adding them to my steam library and making custom tiles for them. The image for the tile came from the Minecraft Xbox 360 cover.

Pin Steam is baller flax. Definitely worth the $0.99

Yeah, I know it's pretty plain.

And this demonstrates the confusion Windows 8 causes for me. That looks like a Desktop, not a Start Menu. I imagine one would use it more like a Desktop, and not a Start Menu. But we still have a Desktop, and no more Start Menu. I'm still confused as to what Metro is supposed to be, and I'm not sure if Microsoft knows either.

^This

I like metro, but give me a real *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing start menu, too.

I shouldn't have to work to find a listing of all my installed flax.

Back