Will these batteries be good enough?

nass95100

Hi, I'm actually making a gamecube and I'm thinking about including batteries on it, and I got 6 of these batteries from a laptop battery (https://www.fasttech.com/product/119010 ... 7v-3000mah)
So my question is, will it be good to power my gamecube?
And I got a rev C motherboard and I want to know if I could make a custom regulator or not because the built-in regulator allows me to run on 12V if I understood right (the regulator part is the only part that is not clear for me on building a gcp, I'm really lost ^^")

You already seem to be in the right mindset, the batteries your using are quite good
however i recommend only buying 4 since you will want to connect one pair in
series and the other pair parallel for double the amount of voltage and mAh,
sadly the rev C Gamecube can't have a custom regulator since there the
regulator is built in also i don't think that they're are any voltage contacts on a
rev C Gamecube

The original regulator only works with an input voltage of more than 10.2V (see viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2844). I assume this is also the case for the integrated regulator in the Rev C boards. If you wire 3 pairs of 18650 in series, you'll get 11.1V, which will be enough to power the GameCube. It will stop working when the batteries are below 10.2V, i.e. when each pair would still supply 3.4V. This means that the batteries would still have some power left (they can be safely discharged to 2.75V or even lower in some cases) but won't be able to power your portable anymore. Since you have these batteries from a used (?) laptop battery, they may not have their full capacity and this will become an even bigger problem.

With the built in regulator, it may be better to power the GC at 14.8V which means that you'd have to wire 4 of the 18650 in series and can't use the other two. Or you can cut the built in regulator away (see viewtopic.php?f=36&t=9329). Then you could wire 3 batteries in parallel and two of these packs in series to get a 7.4V battery pack.

You can always remove the on board regulator, can be a pain but worth it. My GCP sports a Rev c board trimmed, but before I did that I removed most of the components that made up the regulator. On the GC mainboard the GPU and CPU power is bridged and you only need to power one or the other @1.7v. Doesn't matter really what board you use, it's possible to use a custom regulator.

Back