WiiKey and GC, not communicating

Blargaman91

I have two WiiKeys that were functioning normally on my GC motherboard. One has v1.5 WiiKey firmware, while the other has Swiss as its firmware. At one point, both were wired and working, then I changed the wiring method. I tested my v1.5 firmware WiiKey first, and it worked. Next, I tested my Swiss-flashed WiiKey and it took the GC about 7 seconds to boot up. Then it came right up with an error message. Soon after, my v1.5 WiiKey started producing "disc could not be read" errors and the Swiss one still not working. I changed my wiring and went all the way back to the breakout board. I know my wiring is without error, but the same errors persist. Is it my motherboard that's broken or both WiiKeys? I hope someone else has run into this.

Edit: I just tested both WiiKeys on a different motherboard, wired correctly... with the same errors. I assume this motherboard isn't broken too, but I haven't the slightest idea how I could have broken the WiiKeys. Please help!

First of all, the disk not read comes up if your SD card is not inserted at the time you turn on your GC. If your sd card is properly inserted, play around with the lid switch and the eject switch a little, that may help. If it is really an issue with the wiikey, download the 1.2 recovery iso for WiiKey, and follow the readme procedure.

My wiikey was driving me insane as well, but i don't remember a persistent disk not read error. If you have access to a wii you should try it on that. But otherwise, i dont know, sorry

I can't follow these instructions in the 1.2 recovery rar... They aren't clear at all for someone with only mediocre experience executing commands. I don't even know what to search the internet for to figure out what the instructions mean. Help?

Blargaman91 said:
I can't follow these instructions in the 1.2 recovery rar... They aren't clear at all for someone with only mediocre experience executing commands. I don't even know what to search the internet for to figure out what the instructions mean. Help?

If you can't figure out CLI, a trial of WinImage should work.
http://www.winimage.com/download.htm

I'm sorry, I probably sound like a total beginner but I'm not familiar with most of this. I'm still lost on how to put the iso onto my sd card in a "raw" format.

You can use WBFS Manager to load 1.2. I have had "The disc could not be read" from bad wiring though too. If you can test on a wii like NNSS said, that would tell whether it's wiikey or wiring.

Harvey you need a raw file for 1.2 recovery. With the normal updates WBFs works, but the recovery iso is different

Yes, my Wii refuses to accept eiither Wiikey. It's so strange that my wiring messed up both Wiikey's, as I've never messed up a Wiikey even when I was much less experienced.

Winimage doesn't seem to see .iso as an option in step 5 of "Creating a Compact Flash Installation Disk". Does this mean I need to rename the .iso extension to .vhd...?

Never mind, I did just that and it worked. I was able to get one Wiikey working again but the other will not respond. I was actually able to get another Wiikey working that I'd thought I'd broken months back. Could the fact that the Wiikey I can't get working had swiss flashed have anything to do with it? The others did not.

There is a possibility of a bad flash of it wasn't done correctly. Other than that I don't see why it would be dead.

swiss on flash has nothing to do with it...
your other 2 WKFs that did not have swiss also had issues right??

the entire point of the 1.2 recovery is to restore the flash no matter how corrupt it is since it uses a different area of the chip to allow the recovery iso to perform its duties...
the only reason recovery might not work are wiring issues, sd card slot not connected properly, or dead wkf...

if you connect the WKF to a wii and still have issues, then you might have a dead WKF as swiss on flash also works with Wii

Back