Wii U Cube commission

Dersim

This will be the worklog for a commission I'll be doing.
It will be a GameCube inside an official Wii U Gamepad shell I bought of ebay.
Client wants original Gamecube face buttons so I'll have to frankencase this baby quite good I assume.

6.2" LCD
7.2v 6800mAH Panasonic NCR18650 Li-ion Batteries
A Wasp Fusion for SD game loading with SWISS
DOL CPU 01 for trimming purposes.
4 player external support
AV out
126mb memorycard
SD-Gecko on Slot B
Zenloc Custom regulator
Rumble support

I'll update the first post.

Enjoy!

First parts arrived today.

Update 11/12/2015

Update.

I made cuts where I wanted the GC controller parts to be and used BISON Kombi Plastic epoxy to keep it all in place. This stuff dries quik and turn solid hard after about an hour or so.
To get the best result I mounted the 4 pieces separately, meaning day one was analog stick, day two... and so on. That way I was sure all was good and well. Between mountings I would sand the previous mounted component.

Result:

Finishing work still needed.

PS: Lost my Bakuku Account Again?! What's up with this website?

Might I ask where you found your screen? I've been working on a project similar to yours and haven't found a suitable screen...

#obz

Encounterd some video issues...
While playing or immediatly after boot (ssbm) the game characters sort of like flat out and miss some parts of their models...?
At boot the screen just flickers and some missing details and then freeze...?

Any ideas on how to resolve this? Down to my last board because of shorts so really need this one to work!

Thanks in advance

@Blargaman91
@Protobug
@Ashen
@Tchay

Bakuku said:
While playing or immediatly after boot (ssbm) the game characters sort of like flat out and miss some parts of their models...?

Any ideas on how to resolve this? Down to my last board because of shorts so really need this one to work!

Thanks in advance

@Blargaman91
@Protobug
@Ashen
@Tchay

Thanks for including me in that :p lol jk, anyways try feeding your screen a bit higher voltage and see if that helps... Also check and make sure the GPU voltage is sufficient... What video out are you using on it? Like GC video or something s-video or just straight of composite

dark_samus said:
Bakuku said:

Thanks in advance

@Blargaman91
@Protobug
@Ashen
@Tchay

Thanks for including me in that :p lol jk, anyways try feeding your screen a bit higher voltage and see if that helps... Also check and make sure the GPU voltage is sufficient... What video out are you using on it? Like GC video or something s-video or just straight of composite

I'm using standard Composite video signal. Screen takes 5v and works just fine. Tested it for hours before hand.

CPU for some reason is 1.44v and GPU 1.66v. It's weird because these were higher before and now with this board they dropped significantly :/? Could that be the issue? And do all boards react differently to custom power regulators?

@dark_samus

Bakuku said:
dark_samus said:

I'm using standard Composite video signal. Screen takes 5v and works just fine. Tested it for hours before hand.

CPU for some reason is 1.44v and GPU 1.66v. It's weird because these were higher before and now with this board they dropped significantly :/? Could that be the issue? And do all boards react differently to custom power regulators?

@dark_samus

Iirc the CPU voltage should be fine but, the GPU is supposed to take 1.8 volts I believe, if you try raising it you might get better results... Also check and make sure that there aren't any obvious shorts or anything like that. Those can help drag the voltage down

dark_samus said:
Bakuku said:
dark_samus said:

@dark_samus

Iirc the CPU voltage should be fine but, the GPU is supposed to take 1.8 volts I believe, if you try raising it you might get better results... Also check and make sure that there aren't any obvious shorts or anything like that. Those can help drag the voltage down

The thing is these were higher values before the previous board shorted.
They still give the same voltages when not connected to the board but once connected they drop.
As for shorts on the current board, I've sanded down all edges on the current board. started with a rough paper and finished with a soft one and cleaned with alcohol to remove any metal dust.

Ohm values:
CPU - ground is 38ohm
GPU - ground is 128/145ohm
Main 3.3v - ground is 1.6Kohm

Could you tell me some spots that might hide some hard to see micro-shorts that may cause the voltage drops?

@dark_samus

Voltage drop isn't uncommon, and your resistance values look fine, it may be your regulator at this point though, check that your resistors and capacitors are still functioning properly

dark_samus said:
Voltage drop isn't uncommon, and your resistance values look fine, it may be your regulator at this point though, check that your resistors and capacitors are still functioning properly

I tried a different board today. Worked fine for 10 - 15 min. Then the screen began acting up and afterwards there was no signal detected at all. The wasp didn't function as well. Red LED.
Connected stock regulator and after disconnecting the wasp and unit booted. But couldn't test beyond boot logo and message telling me I needed to adjust the time settings. No controller ATM. Might need new regulators after all. Stock regulator powered with original power brick and custom with lab power and batteries. Batteries should be fine as problem was with both lab and batteries.

Can regulators deteriorate with multiple solder/desoldering?

Really starting to get frustrated. Never had this much issues building a portable :/

Help!!

Well it seemed the regulators weren't busted at all. The power drop and shutdown were a result of powering the screen with 5v. The increase in Amps was to much apparently. All is working good now yeah!

And a small update

Back