Who can do a REALLY tiny trimjob for me?

Tchay

Frequent Poster
I need the width (y asix) of the N64 board down to 3" or less. And then the length (x axis) down to 6" or however small you can get it (right at the PIF).

How much? And is this doable? Is RCP a Sega to do as a commission?

I'd do it myself but time is an issue right now, and I would have to kill a couple mobos before getting it right.

6 in on the X axis is a piece of cake. 3 inches on the Y is no easy feat though. N64's have always been finicky for me in front of the jumper slot. It could most likely be done with a rev7 and higher because the boards are simpler.

bud said:
6 in on the X axis is a piece of cake. 3 inches on the Y is no easy feat though. N64's have always been finicky for me in front of the jumper slot. It could most likely be done with a rev7 and higher because the boards are simpler.

Would you need to do relocate the whole jumper slot? Or just get ridiculously close to it? Are there any pics of rev7 boards? I'm no good at looking for crap in the N64 dungeon.

3" is dreaming, IMO. If anyone could pull it off though, I'm sure it'll be Bud or SS.

3.5" is much more attainable, realistically.

tic-tac.jpg

:trollface:

lolol you guyzzzzz

Okay, so heres what I would need:
wJhb2.jpg

You can move that red box up or down but the board has to fit within that box. So, I guess I'm wondering if thats even possible.

Let me know :p

bud said:
I could more than likely do that, it'd just be a massive Sega to pull off.

EDIT: do this:

Y7RUY.jpg

Taken from Beta's spilled beans thread. Did anyone ever verify his claim about this being possible? He said he had some grounding issues but that was it.

This is the board I've got right now for the TSFv2.
Ignoring the cart slot part, it's 3.38 by 5 inches.

Your initial picture is actually 3.1, by the way. If you want to get under 3", here's what you do:

Resolder that jumper slot yeah!
And then trim up to the middle of those jumper slot traces.
Then trim to the top line on your initial picture and you'll barely get 2.95".

You'll get to experience the joys of *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing with the jumper slot traces, and you'll be chopping off the U8 like a man as well as actually having a reason to make your own replacement 2.54v(or whatever voltage) regulator. Then, because you don't have room for the board bend, you get to RCP, which is a finicky Sega too. And you'll lose the ability to use the 64drive which in my opinion is kinda of a huge damper. If someone gets that working with RCP wiring, let me know.

Smallest feasible trim that I know of is 2.6, that's with relocating those top traces and doing the method described above. There's more research and testing I'd like to do to see if I can get some of the SSRIT ideas to work, which would let us go even smaller(2.15) but I don't see the need or like the N64 that much anyways.

If you're looking to commission someone, I can do it, but it's likely that it'll drive me insane. I will require full frontal nudes as well as sums of money.

SS

I could do it. You would however had to supply me with at least 3 boards to play with. As I can't get ntsc n64's here. And ofcourse proper payment for a proper working board after it's done.

Your first red cutout is easily done. Smaller and it will get quite complicated as SS and bud said.

As far as RCP and n64 flash cartridge goes My RCP wired n64 works with the neoflash. I used different wires than kynar though. I used multicore ide.

It's been awhile since I did anything with the n64 though so I would like the challange :mrgreen:

LOCtronics said:
I could do it. You would however had to supply me with at least 3 boards to play with. As I can't get ntsc n64's here. And ofcourse proper payment for a proper working board after it's done.

Your first red cutout is easily done. Smaller and it will get quite complicated as SS and bud said.

As far as RCP and n64 flash cartridge goes My RCP wired n64 works with the neoflash. I used different wires than kynar though. I used multicore ide.

It's been awhile since I did anything with the n64 though so I would like the challange :mrgreen:

Change of plans, 3.1" is fine...... ;)

@Zen, so we are talking about my red cutout on THIS page yeah? They are more expensive than gamecube mobos which is annoying, but whatevs. Would you need some "play time" for the cut pictured above???

Maybe I'll find a bulk deal on ebay.

I will also be "playing" with the boards when I get them. Most likely will ruin all of them, but any success would be groundbreaking :D

If you'd like I could call up my flea market buddy and see about picking up some more "dead" n64s. Last time I got 7 for $20, managed to get them all working just by cleaning them.

SS

@Zen, so we are talking about my red cutout on THIS page yeah? They are more expensive than gamecube mobos which is annoying, but whatevs. Would you need some "play time" for the cut pictured above???

I will also be "playing" with the boards when I get them. Most likely will ruin all of them, but any success would be groundbreaking :D

With N64 you always need play time :lol: You never know when they will break sadly. I haven't encountered allot of death but I hear they tend te be picky. I always use multiple boards so I can retrace my mistakes in my cuts. I also do each cut step by step.

I will invest my time for free if you give me a couple of boards to play with. When I get one working with the cut you showed on this page we can talk about a price. Most work is testing anyway and I like to test things :p

I do have to say the cut out on the top right part is kinds useless but I should be able to remove it with no problems. But all needs to be tested.

You willing to provide me with some boards??

LOCtronics said:

With N64 you always need play time :lol: You never know when they will break sadly. I haven't encountered allot of death but I hear they tend te be picky. I always use multiple boards so I can retrace my mistakes in my cuts. I also do each cut step by step.

I will invest my time for free if you give me a couple of boards to play with. When I get one working with the cut you showed on this page we can talk about a price. Most work is testing anyway and I like to test things :p

I do have to say the cut out on the top right part is kinds useless but I should be able to remove it with no problems. But all needs to be tested.

You willing to provide me with some boards??

Yeah in the next week or so I'll get them boards. Any odd cuts that seem unnecessary would be used for extra space for wires to go to. BUT, ultimately the board might as well be symmetrical or that will be unnecessary cuts. I'm a bit busy with Project P and an Envision commission, but I'll hopefully get those boards out to ya soon. And I'll PM ya ;)

Back