Where to start?

PK297

Newb
Hello everyone. I've been lurking around here for quite some time and I'm really interested in making a project of my own. The only tech experience I have is building a few computers, so basically zero experience compared to all the builds I've seen on these forums. I do have a soldering iron and some other spare stuff in the closet. What's the easiest project I could do to gain some experience? I'd love to do a Gamecube portable but that looks pretty complex. Something like a Wii laptop looks a bit easier but I don't really know for sure. Nevertheless, what do you guys recommend a novice like me with zero experience to start on?

Edit: Also, happy holidays guys.

I would recommend a recasing of a console, take all the parts from a gamecube and put it in a new case. Resolder all the ports, trim the motherboard a little, and make a pretty case. It's like a portable but without all the annoying and expensive parts as screens and batteries.

To learn how, read the megastickies, and check other people's worklogs, see how they solved problems and get an idea what you need to do to accomplish your goal.

Back