Where to buy screens for portable

Cllinw

Hi, everyone. I'm hoping to start a portable GC project over the summer and I'm wondering where is a good to place to order a low power display for my project. Any extra advice or suggestions are helpful as well. Thanks in advance

Look on ebay or amazon for 3.5", 4.2", 5" and 7" "car backup monitor" or "car backup camera screen" and you will met with a deluge of cheap screens that take composite. Alternatively, you can look on Adafruit.com. They make nice flax, and its more expensive, but if you want VGA, RGB, DVI, etc they have all sorts of stuff.

Screen is fine, though the cheap Chinese ones tend to be lower quality.

That case is fine, depends on what console though. (Assuming a GC, since this is in the GC section.)

If you're going for your first build you should look into a ZN45 case. It feels pretty nice in the hands for long periods of time, and it's easy to fit things in for a first-timer.

I know that's the one people recommend for first timers, but I want to use a case that's a bit more unique. And I'm really a fan of the design of the AG models. The main thing I'm thinking about is making it as portable as possible, also meaning as "pocketable" as possible. Are there any others you'd recommend that are under 2" deep?

Also another side note, would these be good cases as well?
http://www.polycase.com/jb-series

I use buydisplay.com
I've always been satisfied with their screens. If you want HDMI VGA or composite I recommend them. Most cheap eBay displays are not only somewhat low picture quality but also very low resolution, like less than 250p, and only have composite video in

Dyxlesci said:
I use buydisplay.com
I've always been satisfied with their screens. If you want HDMI VGA or composite I recommend them. Most cheap eBay displays are not only somewhat low picture quality but also very low resolution, like less than 250p, and only have composite video in
Well, seeing as the GameCube only outputs composite or svideo, I don't need anything fancy. Tbh I'm fine with lower resolutions as long as the screen is bright enough that it's visable.

Cllinw said:
Well, seeing as the GameCube only outputs composite or svideo, I don't need anything fancy.
Cheap eBay screens are pretty much as cheap as they get, and a better quality screen could make a world of difference even with a composite video signal.

Blargaman91 said:
Cllinw said:
Well, seeing as the GameCube only outputs composite or svideo, I don't need anything fancy.
Cheap eBay screens are pretty much as cheap as they get, and a better quality screen could make a world of difference even with a composite video signal.
How well would the PS1 screen work with a DOL-101 GameCube? Because I just found that one for a decent price.
P.S. Very big fan of your work Blargaman! I have been wondering for a while, how well does the gamecube look on 3.5" screen? Is it visible enough to play easily or is it too small?

Just so you know, those backup screens go for about 10-25 bucks. PS1 is a nice display, but you the backlight is power hungry. There is an LED mod but it is a little involved and I can't say I really like the results. If you have a large battery that would be fine, although keep in mind the PCB is weird and large and circular.

Bush said:
If you have a large battery that would be fine, although keep in mind the PCB is weird and large and circular.
And how big of a battery would be enough to say last 3 hours with that screen? Can the PCB be cut down, because I like that this is a 4::3: display that has an audio amp plus speakers.

I'm not entirely sure. If you have a multimeter you can tell really easily by using a static voltage and finding the amperage. You can then use those values to find the wattage, which is nice to know because it is the overall power requirement, regardless of voltage or current. Once you have the wattage, you can find the current requirements of the unit at the voltage you want to power it at inside your system: see here

I'm not sure how much voltage the LCD needs. There is some information on the forums; check the sticky. We are working on updating the stickies so you may need to dig around for more information.

Otherwise, I know the recommended voltage is on the unit. If you have some old power supplies laying around or 5V USB power supply you can try feeding it values under the recommended voltage to see if you can steal power from the GameCube's regulators.

Cllinw said:
I have been wondering for a while, how well does the gamecube look on 3.5" screen? Is it visible enough to play easily or is it too small?
Text in most games is readable and objects generally appear sharp enough but it is sometimes just barely enough. That is given you're using the cheapest of the 3.5" screens on eBay because, again, depending on the quality of the screen, it may change.

Blargaman91 said:
Cllinw said:
I have been wondering for a while, how well does the gamecube look on 3.5" screen? Is it visible enough to play easily or is it too small?
Text in most games is readable and objects generally appear sharp enough but it is sometimes just barely enough. That is given you're using the cheapest of the 3.5" screens on eBay because, again, depending on the quality of the screen, it may change.
Does it make a difference between 4::3: and 16:9 ratio? I'm trying to decide if I should use a 3.5/4/5" 4::3: display or a 4.3/5" 16:9.

Side note: Does anybody know where I could buy a 4" 4::3: display? I keep on looking on some websites mentioned in the forums and I can't find any like that.

GC games are made to be played in 4::3: so in my opinion they look better that way. But I can play with a stretched image in 16:9 too. You get used to whatever you're looking at.
If you do go with a 16:9 screen, you can apply the widescreen hack to most games with Swiss and it will be true widescreen, not stretched.

JFC :wtf: How is this still a question? It's been answered about ten times over now. There's also tons of information available in the first few posts alone. But hey wtfc?

Cllinw said:
Bush said:
If you have a large battery that would be fine, although keep in mind the PCB is weird and large and circular.
And how big of a battery would be enough to say last 3 hours with that screen? Can the PCB be cut down, because I like that this is a 4::3: display that has an audio amp plus speakers.

Maybe it's just me but why would you go with an older and less efficient setup? You could find a regular screen with a smaller pcb that runs better, looks better, and consumes way less power than it does. Combine it with a modern amp and there you go.

Generalindividual said:
Maybe it's just me but why would you go with and older and less efficient setup? You could find a regular screen with a smaller pcb that runs better, looks better, and consumes way less power than it does. Combine it with a modern amp and there you go.
Could you give an example of one and where I'd be able to find it?

Back