Where the heck am I supposed to get good 3MM LED's?

epicelite

Frequent Poster
I have been duped by those e-bay sellers too many times!

They say its a white LED, and maybe it is, but they always have a blueish tint to them. :evil2:

The best 3MM through hole white LED Digikey has is 3500MCD. :neutral2:

Maybe 3500 = Chinese 20000? :dah:

All white leds will have a tint to them. The mcd's decide the brightness not the tint.

The number you need to look at is the color spectrum. 4000k will be slightly yellow 6500k should be perfectly white, anything above 6500k will start to look blue.
I personally think between 5500k-6500k is perfect.

Some sellers use terms like natural white, daytime white, bright white etc. But that will tell you nothing really. If they don't give a number you are taking a chance.

Personally I like the bluish tint. It's a nice sort of cool white sort of thing. Also, why do LED Christmas lights look different?

Might be able to give you some links to a few sites with really good quality white LEDs. Doing some research with one of my lecturer in Uni to convert our Uni's microscopes to LED.

scorpio93 said:
bentomo said:
You mean in the psone screen? 5mm won't fit, only 3mm will.
Fit for me.. I kinda have proof within 5 feet of me...

orly.jpg

I've never tried it myself, just going by what I've heard. Must be a tight fit though.

5mm will work but it is a REALLY tight fit. I have one sitting here that I did with 5mm. I DON'T recommend it though when 3mm works so much better.

hailrazer said:
All white leds will have a tint to them. The mcd's decide the brightness not the tint.

The number you need to look at is the color spectrum. 4000k will be slightly yellow 6500k should be perfectly white, anything above 6500k will start to look blue.

Some sellers use terms like natural white, daytime white, bright white etc. But that will tell you nothing really. If they don't give a number you are taking a chance.

REALLY? :neutral2:

Is 6500k bright enough?

epicelite said:
hailrazer said:

REALLY? :neutral2:

Is 6500k bright enough?
Listen.
6500k tells you the color, basically. 6500k looks perfectly white. 4000k looks yellowish and 7000 would look blueish.
MCD tells you the brightness. Usually, 8000mcd or more is better for an LED mod.

Back