Where and how do i begin my journey?

All my life i have been a software kinda guy sure i can fix a hardware issue on my computer no sweat i could probably build my own PC.However this electronics thing is completely foreign to me but it has caught my interest.I in the future i want to make a Game cube portable.I'm no fool tho i know i do not have the skill/experience to make one.I know i will need to start small and work my self up like in programming you need to start with "hello world".I have been learning the basics of electronics online with YouTube and Wikipedia.I know that soldering is an important skill i have to master.

How did you guys start? what projects did you do to get your basic electronic skills (soldering) down?

Could you guys give me some things i can read that will help me get started?

I'm not as young as you guys when you probably started ( i'm 18).Part of me regrets not getting into this in high school.However i'm here now and willing to put in the time and effort.

Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Start with tinning wires, then get an amp kit or a 555 kit, then rebuild the nes power circuit, audio circuit, and video amp.

Casing is a whole other game entirely. Fun but difficult, you could be on your way down a very adventurous path. It has many ups ands downs.

Ahh, my first soldering job.... Thought I could JTAG an Xbox 360. After completely <censored> that motherboard up I went and got another and just took my time and was successful. Continuedfor years after that. My best suggestion would be get a non-working motherboard and practice connecting wires to components , removing components. You could also look up little circuits and create them as well. (A good soldering iron and tip along with some flux paste can make all the difference sometimes)

I started when i found one of those 200 in 1 project kits, i don't know if they are still around but they may be. They help teach you about resistors and capacitors as well as transistors, LEDs etc. It also helps if your grandpa was/is an electrical engineer, and you spend alot of time with him. I also started watching the Ben Heck Show and that taught me some things about electronics. And finally, if you school supports it, (I don't know what grade your in, or even if your in high school) you could take a Digital Electronics class.

Don't be shy about experimenting. Knowing things work is good, but doing it yourself and confirming that it works is what really helps you learn. If you have a few bucks, you can go to RadioShack, (if they still have stores) and pick up yourself a breadboard, a few resistors, some LEDs, and a battery clip. If you don't know of any eBay is your friend. Check what happens when you change the resistor, or put the LED in backwards.

tyiphius said:
Ahh, my first soldering job.... Thought I could JTAG an Xbox 360. After completely <censored> that motherboard up I went and got another and just took my time and was successful. Continuedfor years after that. My best suggestion would be get a non-working motherboard and practice connecting wires to components , removing components. You could also look up little circuits and create them as well. (A good soldering iron and tip along with some flux paste can make all the difference sometimes)

Good idea.I have a motherboard from a piss poor laptop.Circuits to what exactly? Do you have any beginner type circuits i could make?

The_Next_Guy said:
I started when i found one of those 200 in 1 project kits, i don't know if they are still around but they may be. They help teach you about resistors and capacitors as well as transistors, LEDs etc. It also helps if your grandpa was/is an electrical engineer, and you spend alot of time with him. I also started watching the Ben Heck Show and that taught me some things about electronics. And finally, if you school supports it, (I don't know what grade your in, or even if your in high school) you could take a Digital Electronics class.

Don't be shy about experimenting. Knowing things work is good, but doing it yourself and confirming that it works is what really helps you learn. If you have a few bucks, you can go to RadioShack, (if they still have stores) and pick up yourself a breadboard, a few resistors, some LEDs, and a battery clip. If you don't know of any eBay is your friend. Check what happens when you change the resistor, or put the LED in backwards.

That is very true.You learn by doing, make mistakes and learn from them

Back