What type of wires are popular for portables?

VEGETAtion

Im looking for any wire that will work. Whats the most highly suggested type? (I would also like to know which wires won't work.) Please help! :awesome:

it really depend on what you are wiring. for power hookups, i use 18AWG solid copper. for cartridge slots, i either use 24AWG solid, or 32AWG, depending on how movable i want it to be. the for buttons i use 32AWG.

(of course, IDE is just fine)

If you've got any old controllers (+ the cords), you can take the wire out of those and they work perfectly :)

I use speaker wire for power and either 24 AWG solid or IDE/floppy wire for everything else. When I need really small I use Kynar wirewrap wire or Ultra ATA cable.

βeta said:
SS, you do know that IDE works fine for power, right?

You're going to have a lot more resistance with IDE for power than if you were to use something thicker. Which = less current = WHY DOESN'T MY 360p WORK RIGHT???

As a general rule, I use solid core enamelled wire to deliver power. After that, I use controller wire (it's everywhere, and free) or IDE wire for larger connectors. For fine connections, I use very fine solid core enamelled wire. The only thing I hate about enamelled wire is stripping off the enamel, since it's usually colourless, but prevents solder from contacting. I just use a blade to scrape off a few mil. The good thing about it though is that the enamel doesn't shrink or melt like the wire from controllers, which makes it perfect for things like IC soldering. The downside is that the wire heats up so Dang quick that the wire you just soldered usually desolders itself (so it's best to get yourself a temperature controlled soldering iron to reduce the heat, and tape down the wire on the other end so it doesn't move, and then resin the wire to the board (hot glue can also be hot enough to desolder the wires if you put it directly over the contacts, so put it away from the contacts. oh and you should also use tweezers so you don't end up burning your fingers off)

Hatrix has it right... Speaker wire is incredibly stiff and thick, far from a good idea for soldering to things, especially to contact points notably smaller than the wire itself - it's intended to be screwed into terminals, as that's its main use.

Back