What can we do with this?

Argelfraster

They are Snes schematics. Could someone put these to a good use and try to build a super tiny Snes? :prays:

page1.gif

page2.gif

page3.gif

page4.gif

page5.gif

The idea has been thrown around. But there are several issues. First, it would be difficult and time-consuming to design a board even smaller and more size-efficient than the mini-SNES, which is 4 layer, especially using 2 layers or a 2+ground+power design. Secondly, the board has to be prototyped, and there's no way you could do something as complex as a SNES at home, you have to get a board made. Then it has to be tweaked. And each time, the chips have to be desoldered from a working SNES and soldered onto the new board. Good luck making money off it, because it costs a lot to make/develop and most portabilizers are poor.

I know two people (forgot who) were working on doing it to a NES, and at least one person began but never finished redesigning an N64.

Bottom line- possible, but too difficult to be worth it for most people. The schematics make me wonder though- could you do an RCP-style relocation on a SNES?

Argelfraster said:
XCVG said:
The schematics make me wonder though- could you do an RCP-style relocation on a SNES?
Probably, but im not going to be the first one to try.

No. The board is 4-layer. Inner connections would get screwed up, plus there are components on the other side of the cart slot from the RCP and CPU. Then again, you could RCP wire it, but it wouldn't assist you in cutting down the board.

Basement_Modder said:
Argelfraster said:
XCVG said:
The schematics make me wonder though- could you do an RCP-style relocation on a SNES?
Probably, but im not going to be the first one to try.

No. The board is 4-layer. Inner connections would get screwed up, plus there are components on the other side of the cart slot from the RCP and CPU.
Wait, the SNES was 4-Layer?!

I could see the Mini-SNES being 4 Layer, but not the original.
Or is that what you meant?

Basement_Modder said:
Just keep in mind that it takes 10v instead of the usual 7805 hookup.

I'm pretty sure all 3 kinds of SNES board use a 7805.

I think there are 3 versions:

Full-size SNES:
V1: Huge board. 2-layers. On North American SNESes, the eject button has the letters printed on. Also, if you open the expansion cover there will be a small area of PCB visible. There will be 3 dots visible. This works on all regions.
V2: Narrower board, just as long. PROBABLY 2 layers (can anyone confirm this?). Eject button has "Eject" molded in. Ring under expansion cover.
Mini SNES: Small board. 4 layers (actual 4 layers, or is is 2 layer+power+ground?). AFAIK not availible in PAL variety.

Back