We could stand to learn a few things from this guy.

Mario

Gin-Choobinest Member
Staff member
N64 Portable on a Spanish Forum

Specs-
12v, 6.8Ah battery
7" TFT screen
Built-in expansion pack
Built-in rumble pack with 2 vibration motors
Can optionally plug in a memory pack on the back
Built-in charge circuit, so you only need to connect a voltage source to charge

First off, this guy is a frankencasing GOD. Like, no kidding. Here's what he started with:
97011160.jpg

62290498.jpg

And ends up with this:
56496533.jpg

90268011.jpg

There's a lot of inbetween pics as well. I encourage you to take a look.

Second, you don't need that much heatsink. He used only this and the shielding for the heatsink.
53939223.jpg

Third, parts placement. Here's the battery pack taken apart and placed on the back of the screen:
28512798.jpg

55301831.jpg

All the parts are attached in one big bundle:
66952886.jpg

This whole thing is the entire portable.
47444155.jpg

Fourth, DAT CASE.
He says he joined the plastic with superglue and reinforced it with Pattex Plastic Interior.
67607017.jpg

He says he used "BASF" for the filler, but it looks like it's just Bondo.
masilla.jpg

He used PVC pipe for the curved parts on the back. That's a pretty smart idea.
90449932.jpg

Fifth, modularity. He used screwposts for the controls, and Molex connectors for just about everything. This would make it very easy to replace something if it breaks. Also note the use of screws to hold the guts together in the pictures above.
54106502.jpg

30697860.jpg

Overall, an awesome portable. I want to see this kind of stuff being made here. Have some finished pics and a video link:
91280847.jpg

70150285.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhNVcomBsog

And in case you were wondering, this isn't another portablizing forum. It's an "inventing" forum. This guy just decided to make an N64 handheld.

It is pretty and it has impressive points, but overall I'm not as impressed as I have been about other things. I'm kinda shocked with how much publicity this has gotten. It was even on Memebase.

Hermaphroditus said:
It is pretty and it has impressive points, but overall I'm not as impressed as I have been about other things. I'm kinda shocked with how much publicity this has gotten. It was even on Memebase.
This. Its excellent in terms of quality, but its also quite massive. In many of the portables people do here, there is barely room for wires, let alone molex connectors. Overall its really clean, and pretty creative in many ways, but its not particularly mindblowing. I guess I would say its an excellent rendition of a meh portable. My favorite part is the flat black.

Big, but very nice. Quality-wise, it's mindblowingly awesome. However, I agree partly with the others. This thing is behind the curve. I wouldn't say it's a good rendition of a bad portable, I would say it would be an epic portable one or two years ago. The casework is godly, but electronics wise, again this thing is behind. The current trend is towards much smaller portables with hacked up RCP'ed boards. Still, very lovely portable, but more one you would keep on the mantel and show off occasionally than one that you would actually carry anywhere.

I am curious about the battery circuit, though.

Big or not, that thing looks sexy. That's one hella frankencasing awesomeness.

If he learned some tips from MR and made a small one...

I saw this on hack a day and was discussing it on the MBB chat (no modretro people were online). This is the probably the most incredible casework I have ever seen.

This is a nice unit and all, but it's huge, but like Sam said, people here build world record portables for being so small, and this gets all the attention? The 64 boy, in my veiw, was nicer, not to mention the size. And of course, the tri sixty-force, currently the smallest. So Modretro > That guy. Also, Modretro + That guy = :awesome:

Nice looking portable.

But way to big.

And it was finished in matte black to minimize flaws in bondo/paint job. But there are still flaws in it. No frankencasing job can ever be perfect. ;)

And his frankencasing methods look very familiar. LOL

Also he used the cheap crappy blue 12v batteries. He won't even get 1 hour with it. And he used 12v. Really ? :rolleyes:

The forum he was on is an inventing forum, not portableizing, and I don't think he knows nearly as much about this stuff as we do. He probably thought that 12v was required, and I doubt he realized beforehand that blue batteries are bad. I wonder how thick this thing is....

I think we all have the capabilities to make portables/cases as clean as this, but we lack the attention span. 90% of portabilizers are teenagers who don't really want to take the time to make a near perfect case. Notice how the nicer looking portables are made by older guys like techknott, zenloc, hailrazer, and Bacteria?

Bacteria reuses the same case for nearly every portable he makes, and does nothing to make portables better.

J.D said:
Bacteria reuses the same case for nearly every portable he makes, and does nothing to make portables better.

That is not the point. Hailrazer uses that datamax case a lot and zenloc has used the same design for the last few portables he's done. They take the time to ensure quality in their portable, not just getting it working as quickly as possible. They don't look like this.

gamelverN64p.jpg

J.D said:

That is as laughable as it is ignorant.

Hate a Person if you want to, but don't lie and make up stuff about his accomplishments. Bacteria has accomplished a lot and a lot of his techniques are being used by a lot of respected modders.

Back