Which do you prefer?

• Full version for a limited amount of time

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Gimped version with no expiration date

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters

Twilight Wolf

Frequent Poster
I thought this would make for an interesting discussion.

As I'm sure you've all experienced, there are two types of trial software out there: the full version of the software that you can only use it for a certain amount of time (typically 30 days) before you must either uninstall it or purchase it, and a gimped version of the software ("the trial version of this software can only convert 60% of each file" and the like) that you can use forever. Which do you prefer? For me, my vote goes to to the full version for a limited amount of time. I like to be able to try out all the features for myself and not have to worry about stupid crap like only being able to rip my discs at 1x speed.

Limited version for unlimited amount of time, such as FL Studio and Hypercam.

I always set the clock of my computer far into the future before I install the full, but times versions. Then it thinks I have a few hundred years left! :lol:

PalmerTech said:
I always set the clock of my computer far into the future before I install the full, but times versions. Then it thinks I have a few hundred years left! :lol:

I'm going to try this with Nero 9 right now

I voted the top one, but the worst are the ones that are full, (kinda) but give you a limited number of the thing they do, and then have their name written all over it, like .flv to .mp4 converters that are free.

It depends how gimped they are really. If it's gimped in such a way that it's usable but missing fancy features, that's better. I don't like time-limited things very much. But that's a good idea setting the clock like that. I read about it somewhere once.

Full versions with limited time so I can just go find a crack and get the full version for unlimited time 8)

Grr, I can't get the set-the-clock-100-years-ahead trick to work. It just tells me my trial code has expired. When I set the clock to two years ahead, it acts like it works, but then the installer just dies.

I can usually get everything I need done in 30 days. If I really need more time, I can just reset my router and redownload.

Full version so I can use it for whatever quick job I need done then I can uninstall it and be glad I'm conserving space.

You have no idea just how fast 1.5TBs can fill up.

What in god's name do you use Nero for that there isn't a free alternative?!

No, seriously, list some things you do on a regular basis with Nero so that someone can post a quality alternative.

*cough*Imgburn*cough*

I've tried every freeware disc burner out there and not one of them I liked. Being able to adjust the burn speed in Nero is a big plus when it comes to burning Saturn games. I'm very picky about that kind of thing and Nero was the only burner I found that did everything I wanted the way I liked.

Back