TinyXP - No Sound

nterror

Hey! I recently installed TinyXP on my HP Pavilion dv6629us laptop and I don't have any sound. When I go to Start>Run, type in dxdiag, and look at the sound tab, it shows that no sound card is detected. Also, the HP site doesn't have any sound drivers for my computer for the XP OS. I tried to install the Vista drivers because that was the original OS on this computer, but it failed.

...anything?

This is why I don't advise using butcheredXP.

You need drivers for a Conexant HD Audio SmartAMC chip, according to HP's website. (That's what the Vista drivers it recommends are for.) This one should work assuming whatever you're running isn't missing any other critical sound system components.
http://download.cnet.com/Conexant-HD-Au ... 86550.html

Thanks! The driver I had tried to install earlier was for high-definition speakers because I wasn't sure which one to choose :sweat:

This driver application is initializing, so I'll let you know how that goes.

Oh, and I can't get my nVidia drivers to work, either. I believe I have the nVidia Geforce Go 7150m card, but the driver said that it didn't detect a compatible graphics card. I tried the other Geforce Go series driver that was available on the site because I'm know for a fact I have a card from that series, but that didn't work either. :wtf:

EDIT: Installation ended in failure. I think I might just install regular Windows XP, perhaps nLite it. The inability to install nVidia drivers is a bit upsetting.

Like I said, there's a reason I never recommend butcheredXP.
emot-downs.gif

Just install regular XP (or Vista because it actually has a license sticker for it*) and call it a day. Between all the missing stuff and dodgy updating, premade unofficial XP remixes always cause more headaches than they solve. You can get the same performance benefits with a little tweaking, and you're guaranteed to actually have a functional computer in the end. :awesome: Here's a good site to help figure out which processes are unnecessary: http://www.blackviper.com

* I recommend doing this instead of using a questionably-legit copy of XP. Bump UAC down a peg from default, disable the sidebar, install the latest updates and device drivers, and Vista isn't as terrible as everyone says it is. It's not as good as 7, but it is better than it was at launch.

I went for XP first, just because I prefer it.

I installed XP Pro SP3, but no drivers. Is driverpacks.net trustworthy?

No reason to ever go to 3rd-party driver sites.
Waste of time.

Go to your manufacturers website.
Dell, HP, Toshiba, whatever.
Built your own computer? You should be smart enough to know who made what in it. Go to their site.
XFX, BFG, Coolermaster, Nvidia, etc.

NTerror7 said:
Is driverpacks.net trustworthy?

No third party driver/dll sites are worth the hassle or risk. (Except Cnet and download.com.)

Check for drivers from the chipset manufacturer, computer OEM, and Microsoft Update. In that order.

Try the driver package I linked to earlier again. Chances are there's a component it relies on that was missing in TinyXP.

Back