This 7" Sucker Won't Play Ball

Sleepsalot

[*]Hello fellows,

A week or two ago I took it upon myself to start portabalizing my old 2001 gamecube; opened it up, got down to it and was moving along at a nice pace. Then, I had no idea that there was a community for portabalizing until a friend told me that he had seen what I was doing online, and soon I found myself here, amongst a lode of experiential wisdom. Now I turn to you for support.

Now I've about reached the stage where I want to throw on a screen, and I had this car monitor available so I was thinking about using it.
I'm not sure where I got it, but the box said TFT 7" LCD Car Pillow Color Monitor. It's got nice buttons, too.
0804021941.jpg

Now I set about to start wiring it up, but I realized that although the box picture had a full set of A/V inputs, the only cabling I actually had was this (I have no experience with this):
downsized_0804021943.jpg

I'm assuming that red is the 12V, black is the ground, and blue is some sort of accessory cabling.

After countless fruitless attempts to even turn on the Dang thing (it wasn't the fuse; I waited ten seconds after pressing the power button -- nothing) I opened it up and tried to apply the voltage directly onto the connector, but I couldn't get a response.
0804021944.jpg

0804021946.jpg

Now, I'm not even sure if there's something wrong with the screen or whether I'm doing something wrong (I'm actually inclined to believe the latter and I want to believe the latter) but I know it's not the screen, because dropping 12V right across the screen turns it on fine. I'd love to know how to get this thing into my cube, but right now I'd even settle for some advice on how to get it to work.

Are you inputting a composite signal? I remember a few screens I used wouldn't give a response unless it as fed a video signal.

Well, that didn't occur to me.

The mobo and everything's in fine enough shape and I left the original A/V cable connector on for testing purposes. I'll get onto testing that immediately.

Ippreciate it.

EDIT: As far as I can tell, plugging in the composite from the nintendo cable to the input cable on the screen and then giving it voltage and then :rolleyes: pressing the power button didn't get it to work. There warn't even a flicker of life in that thing.

Try throwing the blue wire in with ground. If that doesn't work, throw it in with the 12v line. If that still doesn't work, then... well... *Can'tSayThisOnTV*.

Yeah, I tested the composite on a television beforehand. I've tried dual blue/gnd and blue/12 without composite (as I don't really have access to a reliable composite output right now) -- but tomorrow I'll go with composite. I'll report back then, but I'm a skeptic.

I have the exact same screen, and this is the pinout:

red: 12 v
black: grnd
blue: alternative 12 v, auto turn on. ( to connect to brake lights)

as to the powering on problem, I can't help you.
there is also a fuse in the cable, did you check that?
(and, possibly you could locate an amp on the board since it does feature volume control, really weird.)

I hope this helps anything.
Jelte1234.

Back