The snes 2 with an upgraded video encoder, revisited

Drakon

I s-video modded my backup snes mini using just the built in video encoder so now I can do an official s-video quality screenshot comparison.

The screenshots are in the following order:

1: A non modded model 1 snes with the rev 1 ppu
2: A s-video modded model 2 snes with the rev 2 ppu using the built in video encoder
3: A s-video modded model 2 snes with the rev 2 ppu using a sony cxa2075 video encoder

somb.jpg

m2defaultp1.jpg

somg.jpg

somb2.jpg

m2defaultp2.jpg

somg2.jpg

The sony cxa2075 encoder mod is much more difficult mod to do, but as you can see the results are outstanding. All of these screenshots are s-video screenshots directly captured from my various snes consoles. I can also confirm that some model 2s have the black translucent bar in the middle screen and some don't. My backup model 2 has the bar but my main one doesn't, both systems have the exact same pcb revision.

For anyone who's interested here's the process of building the cxa2075 encoder mod. First you need to build an entire cxa2075 ntsc internal trap application circuit, which is lot of work. I bought appropriate sop to dip adapter pcbs so I could wire the cxa2075 into dip and be able to solder it easier with nice big dip connections. Then you need to tap the rgb, sync and colourburst lines from the built in encoder in the snes and feed them into the inputs of your cxa2075 circuit. I power the cxa2075 circuit from the 7805 voltage regulator. The resistors on the luma and chroma output need to be tweaked and changed from the application circuit so play around with the strengths until it looks good to you (I honestly forget what strengths I wound up using). Here's the entire schematic:

ubersnescircuit2.jpg

The s-video and rgb outputs can go to any kind of connector you like, I recommend using the built in snes multi av port that your model 2 snes will already have. Doing this mod on a system with a rev 1 ppu is a waste of time since the rev 1 ppu snes outputs a more blurry rgb signal. The easy way to be gauranteed to get a rev 2 ppu is to buy a snes mini. Some late model 1s came with the rev 2 ppu but you'd have to crack open the system and see if the pcb has it or not.

Back