The Printed-Cube? (working title)

Fluxedo

Hey guys I've started working on my next gamecube. Not too much is done on the boards but I have 90% of the parts. Here's the 3D model I've been working on for the case. I'll upload anything anyone wants that are in my 3D models upon request.

Initial post: http://i.imgur.com/VwEjN0n.png
UPDATE 1: http://i.imgur.com/eR4XnuBl.png
UPDATE 1.5 (pictures of the inside): http://i.imgur.com/xLfMF1Jl.png

UPDATE 2 NEW DESIGN:
JEEEgCgl.png

I found out I could make certain things semi-trasparent in 123D so I figured it'd be a neat way to illustrate where things will go inside of it. As you can see, there are 6 3400 MaH 18650s and the board with heatsink is on top of them. Button locations are probably going to change to be in a more ergonomic place. I'm hoping to put a GC-video inside of it so I can feed the 5 inch LCD VGA for a perfect picture.

Hopefully after I give it a quick acetone bath, it'll look a lot like the computer model.

Just as an update, I'm no longer going with the landscape style. I'm going to make it a clamshell design similar to a DS or GBASP but have controls instead of a bottom screen. The 3D modeling of that case will start tomorrow so stay tuned!

Fluxedo said:
Just as an update, I'm no longer going with the landscape style. I'm going to make it a clamshell design similar to a DS or GBASP but have controls instead of a bottom screen. The 3D modeling of that case will start tomorrow so stay tuned!

Could you post the original design's files so anyone who wants can 3d print it? I had some awesome ideas for the screen buttons, make the letters and GC logo on the bottom the buttons :), anyways keep up the good work

Totally! I actually meant to do that when I was thinking up what to post but I forgot by the time I hit send XD. I'll upload them tomorrow. Keep in mind though, the designs aren't finished. The software is really easy to use and you can get a .sat out of the file to work in any other software. If you really can't figure it out, I can see if I can finish it.

Fluxedo said:
Totally! I actually meant to do that when I was thinking up what to post but I forgot by the time I hit send XD. I'll upload them tomorrow. Keep in mind though, the designs aren't finished. The software is really easy to use and you can get a .sat out of the file to work in any other software. If you really can't figure it out, I can see if I can finish it.

you never did mention exactly what program you were using ;) (autodesk 123d?)

Yeah I am using 123D. You can get a .sat out of the .123dx file though so you can edit it in any software.

I see we have yet another file format that's just a zip file I'm disguise...

List
Microsoft Office files
Epub files
These
Others I can't think of off of the top of my head

Seriously software developers can you not think up your own file format? Whatever, makes our jobs easier right?

Not to be negative, but I can tell you now that your new design isn't going to work for a number of reasons.

Yeah I'd like to know I had some thoughts about cooling and having the batteries under the board.

1. The batteries will act as heat sinks in that position and will expand because of the heat. At worst they can explode. This is why you never see portablizers stack their board and batteries like that.

2. The hinge design, or lack thereof, won't work. If you want an example of a hinge that will work, look at the GBA SP or DS/3DS

3. You have no way to run the wires built into the case from the bottom half to the top half.

4. The heat sink being where it is will cause the controller face to get very hot and will make the unit uncomfortable to hold and after 10 minutes of play.

5. From what I can tell, you're aiming to use normal analogs for your portable. If that's the case, you will not be able to fold the unit flush because it doesn't look like you've given yourself enough space for them to sit. If you want to build a folding portable, you're better off using 3ds analogs. The unit will be thinner as a result as well.

6. Going back to the hinge, you're going to have to make it so that it's a friction or snap type hinge. Otherwise, the unit will flap open and closed indiscriminately. This will require a bit of engineering on your part. You can try to use hinges from a ds or sp, but I found the results from that to be lack luster.

7. It doesn't really look like you have a place for everything to go. You did a good job modeling the motherboard, heat sink and Batteries, but you didn't model every component. You're gonna run into space issues because of that. Judging from your design, I really can't see where every necessary component can be placed.

My advice, ditch the folding design and keep it simple. There's nothing wrong with being ambitious, but you should build a few more portables before trying to make a hinged portable.

I probably should have specified, the top half with the screen is still a huge WIP. I'm going to be adjusting and stuff as time goes on and I find the right hinges and I'm obviously going to have a wire running up to the top. As for the analogs, I'm going to be some steel series analogs dl that are sunk into the case a bit so they'll only be a MM or so taller than slider would be and the screen will be sunk into the top part to to combat this. I was also going to have the heatsink a few MM away from the controller portion so that they were not directly touching so the heat would be even spread. I was also considering having secondary fans if it's still too warm. I also have draw out several diagram of where everything will be placed on paper and it will all fit. I just didn't upload any because they didn't seem necessary and they're pretty ugly. The only point of yours that I haven't really prepared for was the batteries acting as a heatsink. I was considering having a piece of material that will prevent heat transfer between the board and the batteries.

If I were making a hinged portable, I'd ditch the batteries and make it run on USB similarly to the CurvyCube. This would eliminate the aforementioned heat issues and probably result in a more aesthetically pleasing device. That's just me, though. Good luck on your project. I'm sure with enough prototypes this will turn out great.

Edit - Perhaps use flat lipo batteries for a nice 'in-between' solution. This would allow you to have extra room for heat insulation. I don't know, just thinking out my ass at this point.

Back