The need to suceed!!

Ok so of course ive seen many many people who complain about many failures leading up until there first portable. I believee one reason for this is a noobie portable maker such as myself always seem yo try to overdo themselves. That wont be the case for me. Im already planning on having an ugly portable which will probably be very bulky and idc. I have an n64 one controller and a brand new psone screen and I know I need batteries capacitor ti thingy and resistor and im just gunna stay under 9 volts completely to avoid further complications and keep the slot where its at. Im also gunna get a multimeter to help. I just would like to know from all of the insanely creative and intelligent "pros" could tell me before I even attempt this so tht it will help me at all even a little to be sure I suceed to avoid wasting money and causing frustration I would 100 percent appreciate it and many props will be given in the future lol (lucky you :p)

You made two topics for this? People who do their first tend to mess up not always because they out do themselves, but by not checking constantly, one spec of solder or metal shavings on the RCP could bridge pins, I clean my boards after I do a lot of soldering. Also always check your connections and silly things, like if the expansion pack is in the wrong way. You're case doesn't have to be ugly, you can have a beautiful big case. Casework is hard because it takes patience and planning. Also, it may be a good idea to buy more controllers, they come in handy. If you have any questions, just be specific and we should have answers. (P.s. Read the sticky thoroughly first before asking a question, chances are the answer's in there somewhere.

Hurrr%2BDurrr%2BHurrr%2BDerp%2BDerp%2BDerp.jpg

S5114 said:
You made two topics for this? People who do their first tend to mess up not always because they out do themselves, but by not checking constantly, one spec of solder or metal shavings on the RCP could bridge ...

Thank you for your kind reply. I am just goin to say this now I LOZLOVER4L HAVE READ THE N64 STICKIES FROM TOP TO BOTTOM AND BACK UP!! I am justtrying to be extremely careful. Im not like complaining about you helping bc I appreciate it more then anything ( especially j.d ) but everyone keeps tellin me tht and im just tryin to get some tips tht the pros have learned from experience, you know like checking the slot like you said tht is extremely helpful. Also I want to apologize for posting twice ii use my phone so its confusing sometimes but I still appreciate everything thanks again

Creating a good case doesn't come from experience, it comes from patience. If you're willing to spend hours sanding and applying fillers and epoxy's, you will end up with a beautiful case, even if it's your first time. Many people have made amazing cases on their first portables.

The Darth64 was my first attempt at a portable with a custom case.

It turned out nice because I was determined to find a better way to make a case. It took me over 50 hours on just the case. But it turned out great.

Time, time, and more time to get it perfect.

Ok thats awesome to hear I have nothing but time. What types of fillers should I get and also kudos to you hailrazer I love your systems I envy you bc I would be attempting a dreamcast portable if it wasnt for the lack of information! But the darth is beautiful definately gunna start considering case ideas thanks to everyone and im only a few items away from starting maybe a worklog will be posred somewhere. Also I got a question. To avoid bridging 3 and 12 volt could I possibly just cover the opposite ( say im doin 12 id cover the 3) with some sort of nonconductive material. Like putting tape on the walls on places you dont want to paint?

Lozlover4l said:
Ok thats awesome to hear I have nothing but time. What types of fillers should I get and also kudos to you hailrazer I love your systems I envy you bc I would be attempting a dreamcast portable if it wasnt for the lack of information! But the darth is beautiful definately gunna start considering case ideas thanks to everyone and im only a few items away from starting maybe a worklog will be posred somewhere. Also I got a question. To avoid bridging 3 and 12 volt could I possibly just cover the opposite ( say im doin 12 id cover the 3) with some sort of nonconductive material. Like putting tape on the walls on places you dont want to paint?

I think I put a link to the fillers I use in my Darth64 thread.

Yes put electrical tape over points you don't want to touch.

Yup all it takes is time. My first wasn't anything special either, but I made the case myself from scratch. Took more time getting the technique right to get a usable case than it did for all the electronics, which I knew nothing about either.

But check my sig if you want some case making pointers. I put this out about 4 months ago and hail helped out in one of the sections to. Should be helpful for you! Good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress!

Back