The definitive GC motherboard trimming guide

Zen,

Have you tried reconnecting the points I've circled below? These leads seem to be the only ones not going to that expansion port at the bottom. the leftmost lead I've circled is ground. Maybe that is the only thing killing the chip with this cut. I will be trying this cut on a NTSC board soon.

Aramfix.jpg

Confirmed then. The ARAM and crystal must be used. Ashen, there are also traces the go under the chip. Best thing is to just give it that extra couple of mm and leave the legs on both sides.

techknott said:
Confirmed then. The ARAM and crystal must be used. Ashen, there are also traces the go under the chip. Best thing is to just give it that extra couple of mm and leave the legs on both sides.

I did see the traces going under the chip. What I meant was that you can trim right up to or very close to the leads of that side of the chip then bridge those two that need bridged and connect the leftmost one to ground and it should still work. As we aren't cutting traces under the chip they should stay intact. Unless you rip the whole thing off like you did ;P

techknott said:
Hey, I'm only human :lol: Ya live ya learn. I have another one here with it on anyhoo just in case.

Haha, I know man. I wasn't givin ya a rough time. Just was sayin, hehe. We'll never know unless someones bold enough to do it. Props to you techknott! :)

I'm going to cut a NTSC board up today using the OMGWTF method just to see what I get. Its an IPL v1.0 board that's pretty much useless to me anyway unless I do build a portable using the Wii DVD drive. Might as well sacrifice it to the cause. I'll post results when I have em.

Also, the first post is pretty much updated with "most" relevant info for basic rewiring of said cuts. If you guys could review it for me and see if I missed anything it would be much appreciated. I know I've probably missed something important. I'm only one guy though and can't always think of everything. :D

Yes you were :cry:

I think the only thing you need to add is to make sure the quartz crystal is moved and all legs on aram are intact. That's it.

Can I get a picture of that board landscape with a 3.5 LCD on top? Thanks.

Oh and this thread:

e.gif

On the AV side, I think we can cut from between the mx chip and the crystal, and straight to the AV chip (relocation of the crystal needed, easy), Ill make a drawing and test it when I receive my new gamecubes !

Bud, I don't have a 3.5" screen for a size comparison. Updated the photo above with the board next to my iPhone. Should give you an idea.

@ Ashen : That cut board should work. Cut looks nice and clean. That's about the size I have it in my GameCubePocket. By the way... How are your gamecube fusions coming along?

@kil00man : You can't cut there cause you need the ARAM chip. Rewiring that things far to much work!!

Casework on the fusions is all done! Just started putting mine together today. Started painting Emu_kidid's last night. Still a bit of work to do. But they should both be complete in less than two weeks. :D

Hopefully i'll find some time to test my newly cut board somewhere in between.

@zenloc : I wasn t talking about cutting that much, only all the part of the audio amp plus the crystal near the mx chip on the AV side. It will need a power relocation for the 1.8V line and for the quartz crystal. I don't have the time to make a picture now, i ll make one tomorrow. I m quite sure it should work on DOL 01 board. I ll have my new gamecube this weekend so we will know quickly.

Ah I see what you mean. Yeah that should work. Ofcourse it would only be really usefull to cut so much if you are actually going to use the space.

I'm gonna do some new cuts tomorrow and see how small I can get it.

@ Ashen : Can't wait to see them!! I'm waiting for my new batteries so it gonna take at least another couple of weeks before I can really finish my GameCubePocket. Any news on our little project??

Was messing around with my first cut gamecube. Knowing that we need the ARAM I still ripped it off to see if everything was still working. Sound didn't work and the games that require the ARAM didn't work either. I then continued ripping off components just to see what happens. As I found out the regulator next to ARAM which provides the ram 2.84v is not needed!!! I just gave the ram 3.4v and they worked. They didn't get much hotter either. Ofcourse this is just messing about and probably won't lead to anything but still it's fun as I can't do anything with that board anyway. I might rewire the ARAM chip if I can cut the board some more. :rolleyes: ........Techknott...... :mrgreen:

@zenloc (and Techknott) : you are crazy ! Relocating the ARAM chip or/and the AV chip is just crazyness, but I admit it would be a great cut... It's a good thing to know that the Sharp regulator isn't needed, thanks zenloc ;) it could be great if someone could make a PCB with zenloc's custom power regulator, audio amp, and most of the component relocations!

I m actually working on a audio amp using psp loudspeakers (freaking small loudspeakers) !

Back