The definitive GC motherboard trimming guide, rev C edition

Ashen

GameCube Révolutionary
Please note: Duplication in part or in whole of any part of this guide, its contents or visual references is strictly prohibited without the express consent of the author.

So yea, I'm feeling lazy lately and I won't be going into nearly as much detail as I've done in the Rev A/B guide. But, here it is anyway:

All of this has been done on a DOL-CPU-50 board. I know for sure DOL-CPU-60 Rev C's exist and that there is possibly a DOL-CPU-70 revision. I don't have a CPU-60/70 to test this on so do this at your own risk on those boards.

Here is where you can cut to:

1.png

Needless to say, this cut removes all of the built in on-board regulator stuff. So you'll need to build a custom regulator to power it. DO NOT cut ANY further than I've shown, there are some critical tiny stuffs RIGHT next to the lines I've drawn, if you cut any further you'll kill the board.

Power relocation:

2.png

3.png

As far as I can tell Rev C cubes have the GPU/CPU bridged internally, so you can't power the chips separately.

Audio/Video Relocation:

4.png

Memcards Relocation:

Slot A:
5.png

Slot B:
6.png

Controller Ports and MX chip Relocation:

7.png

C96 is a capacitor on the opposite side of the board that links those two pins on the MX chip to ground. If for whatever reason you decide to relocate the MX chip you'll need to rewire to/relocate the C96 capacitor.

The tubular timing thingy will need to be removed and relocated from the top of the board to the MX chip.

All other relocation's either for the DVD drive OR for the GPU pinouts for the memcards/controllers are EXACTLY the same as the Rev A/B guide, Its silly for me to remake them just for this. So just use them.

Enjoy, and happy trimming. :D

Re: The definitive GC motherboard trimming guide, rev C edit

Proof of concept:

DSCN1457.jpg

The boards are so similar its almost too easy. Ninty mostly just moved stuff around on the controller port/memcard side. Gonna need to relocate a complete MX chip to the GPU if we want OMGWTF though, just a heads up.

EDIT: Oh, yea. Unsurprisingly, the GPU pinouts for the controller/memcards/DD are the exact same as a rev A/B board. SO all that stuff should be able to be relocated the exact same way.

Is it still possible to hook up a DD at that small?

ProgMetalMan said:
Is it still possible to hook up a DD at that small?
Of course! You just wire to the GPU. Pfft, a GC with no games? XD

It wouldn't be a GC without games, it'd be a Fusion or WODE GC. I was just ensuring that an original or Wii DD could still be hooked up.

Holy flax. :o If you chop off the controller port area, won't it be smaller than the omgwtf cut?

Ashen you might want to slow down, or god might smite you for trespassing in his territory. At least he can try.

nukear said:
Holy flax. :o If you chop off the controller port area, won't it be smaller than the omgwtf cut?

Not quite, It comes close to being as small but will be off by a few millimeters. Nintendo moved the aram chip slightly to the left on rev C's, which throws things off a bit. The large chunk of area that used to house the on board regulator that I've cut off makes it look deceiving.

The good news is that rev C's can be cut Dang close to rev A/B OMGWTF cuts and ALL rev C's will be Wiikey Fusion compatible. The bad news is that there is a bit more stuff to rewire (an entire MX Chip and two clock crystals) to get it there.

Cutting any smaller than what I've shown above is all theory for the moment until I can properly test it. But I'm 99.9% sure it'll work perfectly. I removed all the stuff I need to to cut it smaller tonight, I'll update when I get a chance to rewire/test stuff.

Working on some diagrams for the moment.

EDIT: Anyone have a DOL-CPU-60/70 they can take some good hi res pics of for me so I can compare?

ProgMetalMan said:
It wouldn't be a GC without games, it'd be a Fusion or WODE GC. I was just ensuring that an original or Wii DD could still be hooked up.
:wtf: If you can hook a WiiKey up you can hook a disk drive up, and vice versa.

This might be silly old me, but don't the rev Cs have the regulator on the main board? Would this mean there would be not need for a custom regulator, or did you cut that off too?

Diminuendo said:
This might be silly old me, but don't the rev Cs have the regulator on the main board? Would this mean there would be not need for a custom regulator, or did you cut that off too?

Yes it has regulators built in. But they will not run on less than a 12v battery. So we cut them off, add custom regulators and then you can run them on 7.4v and use less overall power.

So yea, this is still WIP. Killed the first board after I made the OMGWTF cut to the controller/memcard side of the board. Reasons for death of said board continue to elude me. I had the MX chip relocated and everything was still working fine before the final cut. Cut my second board today a bit more conservatively, so we'll see how that goes.

EDIT: So my newly cut board works fine. This is where I cut to (roughly):

MaxCutBottom.png

This is going to be about the max cut you can EASILY do to a rev C. You can go about 5-6mm further by rewiring the MX IPL chip and you could go even further if you wanted to get really crazy and rewire a bunch of surface mount resistors and caps. But I'm not sure its even worth the effort, need it smaller? Get a rev A/B IMHO.

Being that I know where we can cut to now, I'll finish up the actual guide over the next few days when I have some free time.

This is sweet. Nice job Ashen.

I can't wait to have a tiny rev c board. Are there any other pluses besides guaranteed wkf compatibility?

First post updated. Enjoy. :D

Epic! Nice job Ashen, thats much more than I thought we would get on rev c boards! We have pretty much dominated the GC scene at this point.

Time for some Wii action yes? :awesome:

hi I have just one question I have a gc rev C and I accidentally broke a battery located on the motherboard (small purple and gray near the port video) is it serious or do I purchased another? :confused:

google translation /:

Back