The CubePad Advance

RedmagnusX

Hello everyone. I wanted to show you all the new portable that I made, appropriately named the CubePad Advance. The reason for the name is because I actually used a broken Wii U Gamepad that I acquired from a friend, I gutted it and used the controls and shell as the base for this portable. I believe I am the first person to use an actual gamepad for a portable mod. I also included the MX chip from a Gamecube component cable paired with a 5" Dalian Good Display for the best picture quality I have ever seen produced by a Gamecube.

Here are some pics;

Video link.
http://www.putthatback.org/the-latest-i ... echnology/

Specifications:
-Gamecube Revision B CPU 30 Motherboard with Medium Cut
-Thinkpad Heat-sink running off of 3.4 volts
-Gamecube Component Cable chip wired in for gorgeous 480p Video
-5" Dalian Good Display with 640x480 native resolution for the best picture possible
-Wasp Fusion Flashed with swiss .3 Rev 275 (Props to Ashen, Megalomaniac and Emukid for this)
-Megadrive v5 (Props to Megalomaniac for this)
-32 GB SD card for storing games
-Internal 64MB Memory card (I already owned is and I didn't feel like buying a 128mb)
-SD Gecko
-7.4 Volt 4000mah Lithium Polymer Rechargeable Battery
-Independent switches for controlling where power comes from ex: from battery or from power adapter and for turning the CubePad on and off.
-Fully functional switching stereo Headphone Jack
-Official Nintendo Wii U Gamepad Shell, Thumb Sticks and Buttons
-Official Gamecube Controller board cut to Ashen's specifications (Props to Ashen for this)
-L and R buttons modded using single tact method (Props to Zenloc for this)

Fun Facts:
-I spent a total of 180 hours making this portable.
-I broke night a couple of times trying to resolve a few issues that came up.
-I went through a total of four motherboards while building it. I fried the first two and one mysteriously died on me. The fourth one was the charm.
-This is actually the second revision. With the first one, I had attempted to frankencase a shell for it from scratch using PVC. It didn't work out as well as I had hoped, so I got a broken Gamepad from a buddy of mine and used that instead.
-I must have burned myself at least 50 times while working on this :lol:

Special Thanks:
-First to my lovely and VERY understanding Wife for being patient with me throughout this project.
-To my Mother and Father In-Law for letting me use their basement as a workspace for so long.
-To the gamecube modding community as a whole and GC-Forever. Particularly Ashen, Megalomaniac and Emukid for their contributions that made all of this possible to begin with.

Wow what a load of flax.

Jks that's pretty *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing cool, if only Gamepad shells we're that easier to come by, broken gamepads still cost a pretty penny themselves.

Yea, I got lucky. My buddy just gave it to me. They do have the hard shell cases for the gamepad, but they're not as sturdy as the real thing.

I've gotta say it'd be a good idea to use the LZ and RZ as the secondary trigger buttons, but then I don't know where to put Z... Anyways, great portable! Really nice design with the gamepad as the case!

I had wanted to do something like that, but like kickback said, the stupid things are too expensive! Now I gotta to do something else, good thing I didn't buy a gamepad yet :p
Regardless, nice portable, looks really good!

Back