The afternoon projects thread

Don't you freakin' dare.

Gross - Hmmm... maaaaybe if you do me enough sexual favors.

Mario said:
Don't you freakin' dare.

Gross - Hmmm... maaaaybe if you do me enough sexual favors.

I was only kidding Mario :awesome: For one thing I'd get annoyed with the forum being massively slowed down when people eventually trace the picture back here.

I'll get the pig costume.
Aux said:
Any Rift that ships with Portal support should also come with a lifetime supply of barf bags. Our bodies are not ready.
I shall prepare with nights of Virtual Boy emulation on red/cyan.

wp20130323005.jpg

I got a barrel. Then I got Christmas Lights, cups, and a lamp. This happened.

Next up, extending some wires so that you can't actually see the wire for christmas lights.
wp20130323002.jpg

wp20130323005o.jpg

So... Made what I guess is the final revision until I have a lot more money to spend on it. This is about $10 all in all.
wp20130323019.jpg

So I recently got some Sony MDR-V6s and decided I was in the need for a new PC headset.

First, I nabbed myself this $3 mic on DX, which has great sound quality for the price
http://dx.com/p/xty-operator-style-earbud-microphone-set-2631

I cut off the ear piece as well as the cord for the mono speaker within the earbud thing, making it pretty much just a microphone. Then, I sanded the speaker grill down to a fairly flat surface.

Next, I took my modmic base clasps (chosen for their aesthetic pleasantness):
http://www.modmic.com/collections/frontpage/products/base-clasps

And popped one of the clasps' glue tabs off, exposing the back of the magnet. The magnet needs to be flipped because the clasps are meant to only work with the modmic itself, but reversing the magnet allows the clasps to be used with any mic/headphone combo you want to make. I hotglued that clasp to the mic that I sanded down, and then I attached the other clasp to the headphones themself.

End result:

11khyzt.png

I made a nice mount for my sexual identity out of an old flag holder, a styrofoam mannequin head and a bit of dowel.

Ed3VjfG.jpg

Now it can be part of my decor as well as part of me!

That's neat and all, but doesn't have much of an appeal to me aside from "Oh, that looks neat."

Of course, I've been spoiled to nice oscilloscopes.

20130326_185554.jpg

This is the can shelf I finished a couple weeks ago. It has 10 columns and each one holds 16 cans (can even stack a few more on top). I used this instructable as my inspiration. Took me a few weeks to make working on it here and there, I could probably build another in an afternoon.

I needed some alligator clips to test some leads and pinouts, and according to my dad, we had some "somewhere." the only ones I was able to find were the actual clips, but no cables to attach them together. Clearly the only viable solution was to make my own.

clips1.jpg

clips2.jpg

clips3.jpg

Testing out the clips on a potential TG-16 A/V mod, which I'll be doing once I find a suitable 3.5mm 4-pin jack for the stereo a/v cables that I have.

clip4n.jpg

bad picture of it working. Looks a lot better than standard RF

Yeah, that's where the "real" ones would go if I could find them. Didn't want to solder wires inside the red bit in case I ever come across the correct hookups. I'll probably just buy some new ones though, they are awfully cheap, I just didn't want to wait.

Today I made an enclosure for my 3D printer out of plexiglass. I absolutely hate working with this stuff, its so hard to drill/cut without ruining something. The brackets and hinges are all printed on the machine in the pictures, and the handle was printed, then painted. (I didn't glue that on yet.) I think I want to put the hinges on top instead because they are really struggling to keep the door up in their current configuration.

Next to the enclosure, I have a raspberry pi hosting the software that connects to the printer, though I usually just plug it into my desktop which is 5 feet away. I need to change the screen, as the resolution of that portable DVD player is beyond low.

Last but not least, I printed and finished, using acetone vapor, a little link from OoT.

Back