The 64Drive

bud

DAT ASS
Anybody else order one? I got a complete, cased one so I could test it out and see if I want to put one in a portable. I'm gonna go apeflax when it comes in the mail :dah: Its gonna be aaaaaaamaaaaazing

I want one, but there's no way I'll ever be able to afford one. And after the YAP64 incident, he probably wouldn't send me one anyway.

Hmm, I wonder if you could build a portable with one of these. I mean, you could, but I'm not sure how much space it would save or take up.

The board is pretty flat as far as I can tell. It's the same size of the larger game boards too. Just relocate the connectors, and bam super small n64.

The only problem with it is the $180 price tag. You do NOT want to *Can'tSayThisOnTV* up when you are soldering to it.

Lolwut?

The contacts are huge. Soldering to them should be easy. If you're not confident in your soldering skills, making an N64 portable small enough to warrant a 64drive isn't reasonable.

Your probably going to want to relocate the micro SD slot too, and not that it's hard but on the slight chance that you mess something up, you just lost $180. besides, just spending that much to begin with is a lot.

Screwing with expensive electronics and taking the risk of *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing up is the name of the game in portabilitzing. One of the reasons I'm mostly out of it now, actually.

XCVG said:
Screwing with expensive electronics and taking the risk of *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing up is the name of the game in portabilitzing. One of the reasons I'm mostly out of it now, actually.

Not really, I mean a $30 or less n64? A 30$ chines screen? I agree, portabilizing is expensive, but $180 is a ton for one piece. That being said, the 64drive looks amazing, but too bad it costs so much. Will be sweet when someone puts it in a potable though.

Kyosho said:
FierceDeity said:
Not really, I mean a $30 or less n64? A 30$ chines screen? I agree, portabilizing is expensive, but $180 is a ton for one piece.
*cough*

|
v
v
I was gonna point out the same, but I havent got anything in my sig because nothing is finished. Frak me.

You know you can fix that, right?

Right?

But on topic, if I could afford one of these SD-based N64 things, I'd totally build a portable around it. 'Cause it's awesome. But I can't, so I shan't. Though, my PGPC can do n64 emulation perfectly.. It can't do Gamecube very well. Which is why I'm building a GCp. Er.. Well, I was. I guess I sort of still am. I need to work on it. Perhaps I have Sam-itis. :D

It's not SD based, it's Compact Flash based. Very different; the cartridges are significantly larger, and they operate in a parallel fashion, rather than serial for SD. They're also significantly less available than SD cards, but can still be found.

Marshallh is using CF cards for speed. If you want SD, you may be interested in Krikzz's cart emulator, which actually has a base asking price of $100. Problem is, the SD card is much slower (even if you bump your SD class up) due to limitations in the firmware/hardware, and the "OS" is much less refined, looking more like a BIOS than the 64Drive's fully fledged beast. Many people have pointed out that the 64Drive will be able to run NES games, whereas the Everdrive64 does not. That is not true, as he has ported the exact same emulator (that was originally developed for the Doctor V64 back in the days of the Dextrose forums).

Case in point, you get what you pay for.

Atari said:
It's not SD based, it's Compact Flash based. Very different; the cartridges are significantly larger, and they operate in a parallel fashion, rather than serial for SD. They're also significantly less available than SD cards, but can still be found.

Marshallh is using CF cards for speed.

64drive said:
Storage

- 64Mbytes (512Mbit) SDRAM
- CompactFlash memory card slot (up to 128GB)
- MicroSD memory card slot (up to 32GB)

The 64drive uses SD cards too http://64drive.retroactive.be/features.php

The microSD slot was only a recent addition.

I remember reading something about krikkz being able to access full speed SD (which means marshall could as well), but I could be wrong.

Krikzz found a potential solution to the speed problem, but he never implemented it. He was busy working on the flashram emulation, which he didn't finish until a few weeks ago.

I plan to order one as soon as possible, I played with the beta one at mgc and it was amazing.

Anyone heard anything? It's been almost 4.5 weeks. I emailed Marshall earlier about a different issue about a week and a half ago, but he hasn't responded. :/

Back