Switching crystals on a PSOne screen

Kyo

Ok, so the NTSC psone screen has a 3.579545 crystal, and the pal ones has a 4.433619 crystal. I'm thinking about trying to see what happens when I replace my PAL crystal with an NTSC one and give it an NTSC signal. My supplier happens to carry both these crystals (must be some kind of standard) so I figure maybe it'll be able to play ntsc, it's a reasonable assumption. Sort of. Maybe it'll be PAL60, that'd make more sense.

Any objections to this? I won't be able to do it until I have enough stuff I need together to justify placing another order (just placed one unfortunately - there's always something you end up needing afterwards. Ergh).

But some of you may now be asking "Kyo, why?"
Well the answer to that is somewhat simple;
1) If it takes NTSC (as opposed to just pal60) then that'd be an easier way for me to get NTSC screens without paying 40$ shipping
2) I could make a switch between two oscillators on a console that is modded to output both (like the SNES can be modded to go to 60Hz, the newer one to output ntsc - which is good for game compatibility and removing the "pal bars")
3) Why the Heck not? I ain't got nuffin' better to do.

Well from what zenloc has told me on benheck, I assume it would work. Let's do this!

From what I've read in the AN2526NFH datasheet, the PAL/NTSC setting is controlled over an i2c bus by the LTS5QTB, so it might take more than just swapping the crystals.

I have tried swapping the xtals over though, but I couldn't get a PAL60 or an NTSC signal to display properly on the PAL screen via RGB, but PAL60 worked on the standard NTSC screen. This makes me think there are more differences between the two regions than just the timing xtal. :(

daftmike said:
From what I've read in the AN2526NFH datasheet, the PAL/NTSC setting is controlled over an i2c bus by the LTS5QTB, so it might take more than just swapping the crystals.

I have tried swapping the xtals over though, but I couldn't get a PAL60 or an NTSC signal to display properly on the PAL screen via RGB, but PAL60 worked on the standard NTSC screen. This makes me think there are more differences between the two regions than just the timing xtal. :(
Zenloc has confirmed the same thing. PAL60 works in rgb mode, in composite mode it's black and white.

I'll do some digging and experimenting once the crystals are here. I guess it might be a matter of intercepting that signal.

Worst case scenario would be it not working

Back