[SUPER NEWB NEEDS HELP!] Screen Turns on, but won't stay on

spideyc

Hello,

I was just gifted a sweet 21" lcd monitor by my in-laws. They didn't want it as it has the problem of turning on but not staying on.

It will turn on, say for 1 to 3 minutes, then shut off. Power light remains on, but no image on screen.

If I push the power button again, it will turn on again, but turn off even quicker each time until nothing.

I have taken apart the beast, during which I seem to have jimmied the catches with a bit more force than they were designed to take :o

I don't see any broken caps... tho there are one or two that have this white, glue-looking substance surrounding them... I assume this is glue... but maybe not (this is my first monitor teardown)...

I was just doing some research and I've read that it could possibly be the backlight?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: [SUPER NEWB NEEDS HELP!] Screen Turns on, but won't stay

If it turns off quicker each time, that's probably a power issue. Usually that means you're draining the caps faster than they are filling. If you leave it plugged in but off they charge up, then they discharge too fast and run out of juice. They sort of act like tiny batteries in this case, and you "charge" them by leaving it plugged in.

Obviously this isn't supposed to happen, and your caps are supposed to receive as much or more power than they need to stay topped off. You probably damaged your power circuitry. Do you have any pictures?

I do... and I will post them...

I have been told many things... bad caps in the inverter, bad chips, etc... I would love to get this up and running as it was completely free!! :D

You guys rock if you can help me accomplish this!!

Do what Aux said, I had a montior like this a few months ago, I replaced he capacitors and it worked perfectly.

Back