Stripping Ribbon Cable

scorpio93

So how do you do it? I have some wire strippers, but i don't think they can strip a cable without chopping the one next to it in half.

scorpio93 said:
So how do you do it? I have some wire strippers, but i don't think they can strip a cable without chopping the one next to it in half.
Real ribbon cable or the kind where there are wires connected parallel to each other? If the latter, just push a blade between two of the wires to separate them a little and then strip them like normal wires with the blade. I've never used that kind of wire, but this seems like it would work.

No no, jewjo had it right. To separate them, lay them on a cutting board/mat and cut the connections between the cables with an xacto knife, then pull them apart as far as you like. Then strip them however you normally would, it's better to strip them with a wire strippers than a knife though.

:evil2: I use scissors every Dang time and it works good for me! The book says to use an exacto knife, but I've always found it easier to use a pair of scissors.

I'm assuming you mean floppy-drive-cable kind of ribbon. I use the very tips of my wire strippers to cut between them just a little and pull them apart. Then I strip them like any other kind of wire.

I just use my fingernails to pull the wires apart. It's not that hard, and they don't even need to be long.

One time I was stripping and my parents came in and were like WTF MATE! and I was all like GTFO NOOB!

Mario said:
I just use my fingernails to pull the wires apart. It's not that hard, and they don't even need to be long.

This works for me 9 times out of 10. Also, I've used a razor/xacto and scissors before, and my scissors work much better IMO.

Also, I strip the actual individual wires with my teeth.

SS

I saw your podcast (make moar) and was like, "WTF XD" when you were stripping the wire with your teeth. I do that sometimes now, as I have misplaced my wire strippers. :oops:

"a benheck style podcast"

3 part episode. XD

you fixed the charger on some nokia mobile device thing, doused it with hotglue, rambled on about a portable and how you loved Dr. Pepper, then went to your room and showed some other stuff.

Back