Start games without wiimote

watsug

Start games without wiimote
First publication 29-08-2013
I'm not responsible for anything that happens to your wii

Normally you need to go to the System menu to be able to start games. This isn't optimal when building a handheld, as the system menu can only be controlled with a wiimote or peripheral connected to the wiimote. What we need to do is direct the wii before it goes into the system menu to something that is controllable with gamecube controllers.

There's a few different ways to do this.

The easiest way
Compatible with Wiikey Fusion
Using Priiloader to autoboot to an installed file (game loader).
I first saw this in ShockSlayers video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9tWrpjx_no
This works best with neogamma, other more complex loaders boot slower and/or require files on SD card.

How to:
Install Priiloader https://sites.google.com/site/completes ... priiloader

Download the loader of your choice and put it on your SD card. Test it out to make sure it works.

To access Priiloader, hold reset button as Wii boots. Go down to "Load / Install File" and install your loader (or the app of your choice). From the main menu choose "Installed File" and your loader should start.
If your loader doesn't start you need to update Priiloader to v.0.8 beta v7. Go to "Settings" and change "Show beta Updates" to "on". Then back at the main menu "Check For Update".
Install your loader again and choose "Installed File". Now your loader should be able to start.

To boot directly into your loader go to "Settings" and change autoboot to "Installed File".

Tested loaders
Neogamma
+ Loads fast, doesn't need files on SD card.
- No fat32 wiigame support

Tinyload
+ Tiny, no menus
- Doesn't work with Wiikey Fusion

Interesting related stuff (not tested enough)
Postloader - Loads through Priiloader, made to replace System menu.
Wiiflow with Bootmii direct boot
Wiiflow with Priiloader direct boot

This guide is not complete, if you know any way to improve it (grammar, rephrasing) please let me know :)

I have been experimenting with the source code from Gecko OS and I may be able to write a clone of TinyLoader that does the same thing for GC games. In other words, it will work with the WiiKey. But testing the bnr should tell if the wii loading or gc loading method should be used.

Back