Starfox cube (WIP) (side GCp project)

Gamerlolwind

Hay guys
This is my second GCp project I'm working on (as a side idea)
The goal here is to make a simple GCp to be able to play Starfox adventures only (maybe crash bandi)

Anyways, why? Because I love Starfox adventures (I got the pal version, it was one of my first GC games I owned back in 2003, (2002 Christmas I got my GC with Mario sunshine and crash bandicoot).
Starfox adventures doesn't work well with WKF and swiss (audio stream issue + playable compatablty). And it only works fine with DD.

So I'm making a DD basied GC with no batts (save space), and other things.

I have most of the parts for making my GC already and since it is an simpler GC, it doesn't require as many parts like a WKF + batts would :).

Features of. Starfox cube:

+ 4.3 inch TFT LCD 480 x 272
+ X mini v1.1 audio amp (the same audio amp I'm using on my WKF GCp, ps2p)
+ PAL Wii system (2006 version, 4.1E firmware) (softmoded with wiibrand)
+ thrid party GC controller (with buttons and such from official controller)
+ Slot A & Slot B (i'll mostly use slot A For Starfox) 8mb card for slot A
+ Wii DD (and USB port 1) for backups from USB via usbloader GX)
+ wallpower (custom made power adpter that plugs into both the wii and screen to power both 12v).
+ case will be made from a tupperware box (cut/modded) and sprayed in blue colour acrylic paint.

More soon.

Pics!

gamecube im working on for this portable

8 mb 123 blocks memory card i ordered from amazon uk:

custom disk lid switch i made:

for getting the normal two way switch to work as a dd lid i had to take the small plug that attaches to the blue small wires and attach that to the bottom three pins of the plug on the lid sensor thing:

That way it works, otherwise, no!

why it doesn't work without this attachment, i don't know?

controller for portable *thrid party) from amazon uk (modded a little)

a second attament i made where this time i wired the blue wire directly to the pins,
on this attachment however the dd thinks that it is always closed, so turning the switch back/forth does noting,

not sure if this a good thing or not?

more soon (when i receive the star fox game and the 4.3 screen, and buy the audio amp from the store (local) ).

the blue wires on the gamecube are for the lid switch, it wont work if the gamecube thinks the lid is open, just solder a normally closed tac or solder them together

tom10122 said:
the blue wires on the gamecube are for the lid switch, it wont work if the gamecube thinks the lid is open, just solder a normally closed tac or solder them together

yeah, i see it. the second attachment i made which makes the dd think the lid is always closed, dislike they are soldered together (bridged).

thanx for the tip, tom10122!

Starfox Adventures doesn't work on a WKF properly?! Dang! I love that game...

Since you are using a NTSC unit, how will you play your PAL games?

Also are those third party controllers okay? I read a lot of reviews saying the analog sticks suck...

Good luck on this one!

Spiicyice said:
Starfox Adventures doesn't work on a WKF properly?! Dang! I love that game...

Since you are using a NTSC unit, how will you play your PAL games?

Also are those third party controllers okay? I read a lot of reviews saying the analog sticks suck...

Good luck on this one!

yeah, me too man starfox adventures is awesome, too ad WKF and swiss don't work well with it :(

um, when you mean my pal games orginal disks? nah don't need to play them on this one as i have my other GCP (cubefusionpal) which has the wkf in it :)

I'm making a second gcp to play only starfox adventure nstc u ver.
and my cubefusionpal gcp for playing everything else off sd cards :) :)

um, yeah the controller is fine, works great. it's insides are the same type as the venom controller i got a long time ago when i was on benheck forums working on my first portable gcp attempt back in 2010.

Spiicyice said:
I was looking around to see if there was some kind of fix for the audio streaming issues, and I found this: http://128bit.me/index.php?topic=30423.0

Is that you? :p

EDIT: On the GCForever Wiki, it says that StarFox Adventures seems to be fine: http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.ph ... _Streaming

EDIT: Nevermind....

Yep, that's my username on that forum, great site for retro games and great communally of people :)

Anyways, um the audio streaming issue doesn't seem to fix but these audio issue games only run fine via dd.

The issue for audio streaming I think may not be fixed ever for wiikey/wode as it is very diffcult to do so.

I have asked around myself on the issue, but no fix.
But glad to bulid a dd GCp for these audio streaming games as dd works perfectly :)

Starfox adventures on this GcP will be awesome!

hay guys, i did lots of work on my case on the weekend.

case im working on used from a amazon.com box.

screws mounted with metal hinges to support case and hold it together

hole cut for L trigger & hole cut for R trigger

mounting cut for controller

controller top shell mounted on cardboard:

- used a little UHU gule to stick it sdown (worked)
- used tPVC tape and added hotgule on top of the tape to make a mold to cover the open areas! (worked)

i then sprayed the controller mount (with spray paint 1 x high gloss Gentian blue)

and done!

mounted back the rest of the controller, looks awesome

now that i see the controller mod, it remind me of tchay's CCube & Lyberty5's first GCP because of the color (that's a good thing) :)

Inspired by both tchay's cube and Lyberty5's gcp.
and i like the color blue, and star fox's color is blue.

i was also inspired by ahsen's case creation he's making for his GC rev 4, so i wanted to make something similar. ( i mean building a case from scratch etc)

tom10122 said:
Starfox wont work even If you use swiss?

nope, even if i use swiss it won't work. i tried swiss 0.2 (no works)
i tried swiss 0.3 on my wkf, but it won't load up,

nope. not wkf or swiss can't get star fox adventures to work,
not to mention the infamous audio streaming issue (which won't be ever fixed for wkf/wode.

did some work on the case for the dd,

hotguled the reset/eject buttons (as i don't need them)

hotgule molded the eject area:

mounted the top part on the bottom gc case to hold for spraying

opened the power switch area up for mounting the dd switch and sprayed the case:

hay guys, i received the star fox adventures us game from my ebay order the other day (monday 5/8).

it works great, just my gc dd has stopped reading disks for no reason, the laser starts to read the game then moves at the far end of the dd. and disk stops spinning? WTF.

not sure if it can be fixed or not.

i have replacement parts etc.

but, i figured since the gc dd can crap out easily, then why not get a wii system to load starfox adv off?

so, I'm going to be using a wii system Older verstion model that i can softmod and load HBC channel, bootmi as front loader (to control wii via gc controller), and use swiss booted, gc backup launcher etc to load STFA (star fox adventures).

yeah, i ordered the wii from ebay yesterday. it's from a uk seller, locales in uk somewhere. so it should arrive quickly (like next tuesday etc).

i also ordered the 4.3 inch screen for this gcp (or wii with gc features only), for 14.99 Euroes + free shipping from amazon com.

my case for the portable is in the making, looking good.
i'll make an power adapter that plugs into a custom wii power brick that will power both wii and screen at 12v.

and i need to buy an audio amp, the same one I'm using for my cubefusionPAL gcp and ps2p. when i get that i'll make a guide on how to open it up, mod it etc *
(should be helpful to people who would like to/or want to use an amp like this)

more soon on this gcp!

hay guys,

i did some work on the case:

added a back cover to the case (for more support + to add the stickers at the end!)

added a piece of cardboard in the case for support + to hold the wii system in and components (AV cable, screen cable, audio amp, etc):

to mount the molded controller, i used these screws with a screw driver to make holes and mount them in to keep the controller tight in place:

three secure holes should be enough:

and the result is:

it's great!

im also making a screen mount for the 4.3. looks good, as i used the size from my other 4.3 inch that is in cubefusionPAL GCP:

that's all for now. im working on an audio amp guide, it'll be up soon.

more soon on this GCP!

(still waiting on wii and screen to arrive)

Mini audio amp How to!

hay guys,
gamer here, this is my mini series of videos to show how to mod the X-mini audio amp that i used for my GCP and my PS2P that im working on.

this amp will go for my star fox cube im working on currently.

this series will show how to mod the amp by:

+ opening up the amp,
+ removing unwanted parts,
+ extending the speaker with better quality wires than the stock ones,
+ extending the volume nimbi via IDE wires,
+ adding in a headphone jack.

that's it!

this is part 0!

Part 0: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFM0kysy ... LUw1xgRunw

Part I: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAQhpMMn ... LUw1xgRunw

Part II: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unFwsFHS ... LUw1xgRunw

Part II-2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ3h9UFIS08

Part III: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eowbZDE4f0E

Part IV:

audio amp's current stage:

the amp is 1/3 finished. i still have to add the headphone jack and extend the volume numb.

thecasperrojas said:
i truely like this cube , keep it up but please dont take to long to finish also pm me i got and idea

Thanx Casper!
I couldn't play Starfox adventures on my WKF GCp, due to audio streaming, but this cube (wii with GC features (via softmod) will be awesome.

The audio amp is nearly finished and the case is getting there.

Now I just need to wait for my wii and screen to arrive.

And then softmod my wii, spary paint the case + stickers etc, install wii and screen, amp etc on case.

Not long now. ( I hope my wii and screen arrive soon)

22/8/13

hay guys,
i got my wii from the ebay order yesterday.

it came with 4.1 firmware, i used wiibrandlancher to soft mod :mrgreen:
i softmodded it, and did the software stuff to get CMIOS and packed MIOS for GCBL and Swiss Booter to work :mrgreen:

and starfox adventures loads fine in swiss :) and loaded some emus like snes9gx etc.
and all with a GC controller, no wii remote at all!
my wii is an older wii 2006, so i was able to install Bootmii as Boot2, which is super great and i can Nand backup to sd card and resort if there is a software mistake :awesome:

and today i did some casework on a new case as my old one won't be able to hold the wii + everything else

cut the top "weak" part as bacteria says for tupperware: (it worked easly, better than before!)

i later sanded the cut edges and will cut the plexiglass part to epoxy it on the cut part :mrgreen:

the wii gate area to cut for placing the wii in the case (sort of like a top loading NES?)

more soon. Tupperware is fun!

23/8/13

hay guys,
i finished cutting the plexiglass bottom part out today. it was easy to finish as i had cut 80% of it yesterday.

the other side is clear of spray paint and has a cover.
i know that it doesn't look pretty, but it was hard cutting Plexiglas, i assume perspex is easier to cut or (hard on tools?)
i have to cut some parts i missed, as they stick out on the case bottom a bit.

what the bottom plexi looks on the case:

more soon. i'll mount the plexilgass on the case bottom using hotgule or epoxy?

24-25-26/8/13

24/8

i hotguled the plexiglass to the case and cut it to size from before:

the back (cover side):

25/8

cut the "wii gate" area to size to fit the wii inside the case:

i removed the outer case of the wii and the wii is a bit lighter using the Ifixit guide:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Replacing+N ... ase/3453/1

more soon. once i receive the screen, i'll make the cut for the screen, controller and such.

Back