Starfox 1: Overclocked

I added a toggle thingy!

starfoxtoggleswitch.jpg

I did some more testing and experimentation. The gsu 2 isn't overclocked anywhere near its full potential. Unfortunately the game glitches and randomly freezes at any speed above 28.322 mhz. It's sad really. I can play the game for hours at 40 mhz and the gsu 2 only gets very slightly warm. But having a game that randomly freezes is no good. I wish I knew why these carts randomly freeze over certain speeds. Starfox 2 runs flawlessly at 33 mhz, but at 33.33 it has minor glitches and random freezes. Doom is the same way with the same speed limit as starfox 1.

Have you tried it with an open cart and a fan blowing on it? It's possible that "very slightly warm" is too much for that chip.

Kyosho said:
Have you tried it with an open cart and a fan blowing on it? It's possible that "very slightly warm" is too much for that chip.

There's no point. Anything under 40 mhz and the gsu 2 still has zero heat. Yet it even freezes at 30 mhz. I did some reading on pc video card overclocking and apparently you need to feed the hardware more voltage to keep it stable. However the gsu 2 pcb has all the chips wired into the same voltage. And the gsu 2 chip has 3-4 voltage pins so it would be a royal pain to separate the gsu power from the rest of the pcb. Also there's the fact that I'd have to build a circuit that somehow increases the voltage a little.

Back