Overclocked superfx unlimited speed with all games

Drakon

I finally broke all speed limits with overclocked snes superfx games. I had to romhack the games to remove a function call that caused them to crash past a certain speed. Starfox 1 doesn't have this function call which is why starfox 1 was the first game to run at insane speeds. Now every superfx game runs at any speed up to 50 mhz. At 50 mhz the game still runs but the snes is no longer able to keep up with the superfx chip. Here you are:

So with this romhack, a superFX 2 would not be needed to get the best performance out of a Starfox 2 repro?

grossaffe said:
So with this romhack, a superFX 2 would not be needed to get the best performance out of a Starfox 2 repro?
That's correct. Turns out I was wrong about the gsu 1 being slower. Something must have been messed up in my initial testing and I never retested it afterwards until a day or two ago.

I made some stunt race fx videos.

50 mhz vs a stock cart, see if you can spot the difference heh:

50 mhz playthrough of the hardest route to prove that it's perfectly playable:

I got stunt race fx running at 51.8 mhz after tiido was nice enough to explain to me how to make a voltage divider to power a tiny surface mount 3.3v oscillator. The game runs fine at that speed so I have no clue what the top speed is, I'm waiting on faster oscillators I ordered to find that out.

The max speed starfox 1 can run at without outpacing the snes system itself is 48 mhz:

Stunt race fx I have going happily at 53.3 mhz. At 55 mhz stunt race fx freezes, I ordered some 54 mhz oscillators to see if it can handle that speed. The maximum speed stunt race fx overclocks to without modifying the rom is 30 mhz, the 53.3 mhz modified rom version looks twice as smooth as the 30 mhz version.

Back