SS's guide to wiring a 3DS joystick to your GC controller.

ShockSlayer

Probably SS
finisheddiagram.png

Note: These resistances may not work for all GC controllers, these have so far only been tested on the official controller, thus additional tweaking may be necessary.

I'm going to add 3 ohms to the X axis later, because I like even numbers, probably won't change anything though. The above resistances should work fine.

Let me know if I made any mistakes in the above diagram, should be fine though.

SS

Re: SS's guide to wiring a 3DS joystick to your GC controlle

Great guide.

You could also use a potentiometer, then someone could tune the stick to their preferences, and be exactly even without having a jumble of resistors.

bassmasta said:
Great guide.

You could also use a potentiometer, then someone could tune the stick to their preferences, and be exactly even without having a jumble of resistors.

I like this idea.

Closest 1% resistors are 3.01K and 3.48K. Don't know if that's close enough or not.

If you have to do this much screwing around, is it really worth it? Why am I asking, of course it is!

Watched this brilliant discovery live.
Well worth the time and effort IMO.

XCVG said:
bassmasta said:
Great guide.

I like this idea.

Closest 1% resistors are 3.01K and 3.48K. Don't know if that's close enough or not.

If you have to do this much screwing around, is it really worth it? Why am I asking, of course it is!

Yeah, using a pot could work, it'd just be really really annoying because you'd need two, and they'd have to be perfect.

Also, those probably aren't close enough, but you don't necessarily have to use as many as I did, could probably use some different ones, just as long as they add up to those specific resistances or within a few ohms I guess.

SS

Woah!
How did you come up with this idea, SS?

You're so innovative, and such a brilliant modder.

Now I see why you are an admin. :awesome:

AfroLH said:
Woah!
How did you come up with this idea, SS?

You're so innovative, and such a brilliant modder.

Now I see why you are an admin. :awesome:
QFT :D

ShockSlayer said:
Yeah, using a pot could work, it'd just be really really annoying because you'd need two, and they'd have to be perfect.

Also, those probably aren't close enough, but you don't necessarily have to use as many as I did, could probably use some different ones, just as long as they add up to those specific resistances or within a few ohms I guess.

SS
Sure, two might be a little inconvenient but not any less convenient than a jumble of resistors. I mean, why go through the trouble of ordering several resistors when there are some perfect pots at ratshack, $1.69 each?

Also, I think there is a calculator somewhere that can calculate the best combination of resistors to achieve a certain resistance. But when you can use a pot, why not?

the diagram seems to be a c stick pcb. will this method work for both the c stick and the joystick?

I guess if you had a good multimeter for reading resistance then it might not be that bad.

Although, you can't accidentally bump resistor and mess up it's resistance. :trollface:

Unless you use a hammer.

The pinout for the Cstick is identical to the main joystick, I just used that beacuse it better demonstrated the pinout and how it's wired up.

SS

Kyosho said:
A 10k pot for something this precise, bass? I'd go with a 4k instead. Or at least something closer to the target. But that's just me.
Those are non-stocked. :p

If you think accuracy is important, then why not use 3 1k resistors (or 2 1.5k resistors) + a 1k potentiometer on each line? That would get you the closest resistance and is still available at a local radioshack.

Anyone know the centered resistance value of the 3ds stick? And the range on both axis's, high and low?

Fantastic work SS.

Will help many a person remove some of that thickness from their portables.

Oaisus said:
Re-post of the ShockSlayer's diagram, because this is very useful information and his image is broken.

finisheddiagram.png

Your image doesn't work lmao

dark_samus said:
Oaisus said:
Re-post of the ShockSlayer's diagram, because this is very useful information and his image is broken.

finisheddiagram.png

Your image doesn't work lmao

For some reason, Dropbox doesn't like injecting images directly into a post. Added a direct link.

Back