Spiicy's first N64p

Spiicyice

So I decided to make a N64p modelled after Hail's N64Boy Advance. So I got a couple carrying cases...

TB2huyu.jpg

So I started to work on the case awhile ago

VxyI1o0.jpg

After a little more drilling and sanding the front is pretty much done now! :D

p0Xrsw5.jpg

Now as for the electronics part, I trimmed down the N64 to fit in the case, and relocated the cartridge slot. Then wired up the power to the screen and N64. IT WORKS!

K1vAjDC.jpg

So I am hoping to get this finished by Friday, but who knows if that will happen...

Okay, so I opened up my controller and soldered the A button and joystick to see if it will work on Super Mario 64. I can't even get the board to show a picture anymore... At first I got a picture, but then it quickly went out.

3WdqLqn.jpg

I got my multimeter, and checked the voltages. The 7.4V line was fine, but when I connected the 3.3V line the voltage would drop to like .4V.... After I would disconnect it, it would go back to 3.3V... Kinda Weird.

I'm going to charge up my batteries, and try again soon.

Make sure you don't have a solder bridge to ground somewhere on that 3.3v line. Particularly on the cart slot relocation.

Basement_Modder said:
Make sure you don't have a solder bridge to ground somewhere on that 3.3v line. Particularly on the cart slot relocation.
Thanks for the tip, I was able to get the board working after playing with the resistor values.

EDIT: I only got a picture when the board got about 3.7V on the 3.3V line, kinda high.... Oh well, at least it works.

Okay well a little update on my portable:

I drilled out all of the speaker holes, as well as the charging jack, wall power jack, and the headphone jack. I thought they all turned out okay. I still have to drill out the volume buttons and the on/off switch.

jDZry3L.jpg

Then I drilled the L and R triggers, as well as the cartridge slot. I wanted to make the cartridge slot round on one side, that way it puts less stress on the hinges, and that way you can't put the game in the wrong way. It still needs a bit of sanding though.

4YaGGlz.jpg

I also bent an expansion pack just for fun. I'm not sure if it works though, as I had to remove the hot glue on the cartridge relocation, as there was so much that it would block a game from coming into the case. While doing so, I managed to get quite a few wires loose.... No biggie though.

m8j18cm.jpg

I might put in a Tremorpak Plus in this, but I'm not too sure yet...

LkPyMKq.jpg

There is also this nice little spot on the back of the case for something. I have a couple ideas that I might want to do.

Theoq58.jpg

I was thinking that I could put this decal that I made awhile ago there, and I could have a couple LED's light it up.
(BTW I have a larger version of the decal, if anyone wants it PM me.)

uXlU4UW.jpg

Or I could try to put the expansion port from the controller there. Any other ideas?

Well I designed both decals for the front and back of the case.

Here is the one for the front:

idOX27o.jpg

And the one for the back:

QmvoUBF.jpg

I had to make a new one for the back, because the other one I made just wouldn't really work there. There would be too many characters cut off.

I will hopefully post more pictures later today. :p

Lol so it has been a very long time... but I want to finish this portable now.

This is where I'm currently at:

Got the N64 cut down to size for the most part, and relocated the cartridge slot, and the board is still functional.

epvFcsj.jpg

However, the video signal seems to have some type of issue, not exactly sure what's wrong here.. any suggestions?

LuDyTt9.jpg

As for the casing, everything is done. All holes have been cut. At this point, it's just a matter of connecting all the separate pieces together and then I can close this bad boy up!

KX9hUhf.jpg

More very soon

Where in heck did you come across 7 of those gba cases!?!?!? I had trouble finding the one I have for a decent price on ebay lol!

Argh, I've been trying to do my first N64p into this same case. So I'm paying a lot of attention to your design decisions. :) But for some reason, I can't get past the cart slot relocation. I've tried on 2 MBs now, very careful soldering, multimeter says everything's ok. Won't boot up. I've successfully relocated Game Boy cart slots, which are much trickier. Just can't get the N64.

Sorry, I just need to vent.

Back