Sound issue

Lollipop

Hi guys, I've been working on a portable and because of the nature of my designs there is a need to power and feed video in a screen with very thin flexible wires. Since I have an extra ribbon cable (the ones that come with wiikey to connect to the sd card slot) I was considering using that as the wire. Would this cause too much resistance? Since there are twelve "lines" I was thinking that I could allocate multiple lines for the power (12V), the video, and the ground. I was wondering if maybe I should do 5 lines for power, 2 lines for video, 5 lines for ground. It should be ok to have the video ground and power ground wire together right?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I have updated this question please see last post. Thank you

Re: Ribbon Cable Question

The power wire would need to be a lot larger than ribbon wire, even multiple ribbon wire is to small.

Re: Ribbon Cable Question

Thanks Hail I'll look around for some better wires...

Also would it be ok if I power my GC rev C (with stock regulator) on 14.8V and then draw 12v from the board to power my screen? The screen draws 6W at 12V so .5A, would that be too high of a draw from my GC?
If not I have the 7" screen found here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y3 ... UTF8&psc=1
Could I just run that on 14.8v?

Thanks

Re: GC power question

Oh yeah I was also wondering what voltage those Thinkpad Fans that a lot of people use run on? I know they can handle a lot of different voltages but what does it run on when its installed in a thinkpad computer?

If you only give the stock regulator 14.8v, it will have 14.8v on the 12v line. No 12v is actually regulated.

Thanks Blargman

So I wired up my an sd slot to my memory slot B today as a sd gecko but it says device "cannot be used" is that normal?

Re: SD Gecko Question

the IPL has detected something connected in slot B but the IPL doesnt understand how to communicate with the device..
load swiss (via DVD if you still have the port connector) and see if you can read the SD card
otherwise, you will have to wait till you have a WKF/WASP/WODE connected to determine if the slot is wired correctly...

Thanks mega, I removed the connector so I can't test that right now... Could I test by making one of those memcard-slot-wired-to-a-sd-card adapter to see if a normal gc mem card will still work in port B?

Lollipop said:
Could I test by making one of those memcard-slot-wired-to-a-sd-card adapter to see if a normal gc mem card will still work in port B?
Yes , you could do that, as long as your wires aren't too long (did you wire to the GPU?).

Thanks Blargaman, I have wired directly to GPU and my wires going to the SD slot are about 2-2.5 inches and from sd card adapter to memcard slot is less than .5" is that ok?

I don't know, that may be cutting it close, but the length you can have varies from motherboard to motherboard. If it doesn't work, the first thing you should look at is wire length.

Hi guys sorry another question:
What is the lowest safe voltage a rev C Gamecube can run on with the on-board regulator removed?
Or can the rev C not be powered like that?...

Also does anyone know what the maximum voltage these screens can run on? One of the cheap 7" TFT Screen. They run on 12v but I was hoping I could run my gc and screen straight from 14.8v batteries
the chip looks like this
lt53.jpg

Re: Rev C Power Question

So today I finally fixed my audio set up and sound is now playing correctly. However, I've noticed that my speakers heat up and when I plug my headphones in they heat up too... I'm using a Gameboy Advance SP speaker. I might try simplifying the set up to isolate the problem but if you guys have any idea whats going on please help.

A rev C GameCube doesn't run off one voltage once you remove the regulator. Removing the on board regulator means you will have to use some other external regulator, like a custom built one, to create 1.9v, 3.43v, and 5v.

Thanks Blargaman, I actually figured out the power problem. I just forgot to change the title :p

So to better clarify my question:
I'm using an amp without volume control and so I replaced a smd resistor with a 3 pin rotational potentiometer. I connected pin 1 to gnd and pin 2 (aka "w" or "wiper") to the "in" side of where the smd used to be. Then I connected pin 3 to the "out" side. This setup resolved the whining noise I used to get (all sound would cut and be replaced by a whining after turning the volume past the halfway point going from loud to soft) but the speaker would get hot. With headphones plugged in the headphones would get hot. Once I disconnected the gnd, the potentiometer would no longer be able to completely turn down the sound and the overall volume was increased. However, a disconnected gnd did resolve the heating issue. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

check the pinout of the pot
are you wiring it correctly to the board?
sometimes you only need 2 of those pins to adjust the resistance....use a multimeter to see how the pot works...then try wiring it up...

I checked the pin-out before I wired everything. I had an issue with speaker whine (not interference though. As described above) so I made sure to check the pin out.
The pot is pretty standard 3 pin. The pins on the left and right are connected to the U shape resistance strip thing and the middle is the wiper.
As for working with only two pins I've tried that (by disconnecting the gnd) but then the effective resistance of the pot is seriously reduced and I can't turn off the sound.
I just don't get why the pot is perfectly cool but my speakers end up heating up... and yet it doesn't heat up once my gnd is removed... I'm wondering if its because I'm running the amp on 5v. The original set up used 3 AAA batteries so 4.5v but I don't know if that would make that big of a difference.

Back