SMS Portable using a Playpal?

icarus

pa.92922.2.jpg

I have been looking into this little device for a few days now. It's a device that plays 20 SMS games. I read on atariage that it is indeed a SMS on a chip, but I can't confirm it. I was hoping that I might be able to add a cartridge slot to it and either keep it in the casing it came in or make a new shell. Unfortunately I don't really know if it was entirely possible.

Playasia isn't carrying them, and Target doesn't carry the Coleco branded one anymore. So I have yet to aquire one of these, but I plan on it.

I was hoping maybe someone here knew more about it. Especially on whether or not I could add a cartridge slot, and where I could get one. If it won't I'll just have to get a Master System II.

Thanks!

Looks like something that uses a GOAC and gets the games off of memory chips, just like the Radica. So, if you can reverse-engineer it, yes, a cart slot is possibly possible. :dahroll:

Basement_Modder said:
Looks like something that uses a GOAC and gets the games off of memory chips, just like the Radica. So, if you can reverse-engineer it, yes, a cart slot is possibly possible. :dahroll:

And how would I go about reverse-engineering it? :dah:

I doubt you could easily find the pins to solder a cartridge slot to. This is the same reason why nobody (to my knowledge) has hacked a cart slot on the c64oac plug in play. Which really sucks too, as I have a c64oac.

Genesis.

The power base converter is only a pin converter. You can (theoretically at least) wire a Master System slot to the Genesis.

Although the Genesis is almost as big...

Carry on.

wait, so are there any pinouts for wireing a sms slot to a genesis? Also, is it true that this will only work for the model 1 genesis?

The model 1 Genesis is quite large, if thats the only one its possible on... its not really worth it.

I have been researching for the past hour now. To my knowledge, sega made a master system converter for the mega drive 2. If sms games work on the mega drive 2, then they will certainly work on the genesis 2 as well.

Think of it. I portable genesis/sms that is compatable with the light phaser, sega game cards, and the amazing 3d glasses.

Umm. yeah. I think I will do this instead of a dreamcast portable next. DC can wait.

oh, and if you want to be lazy, you can just get a game gear and the master gear converter.

EDIT: keep in mind though, that if you do this, you will not be able to use 3d glasses or those small hucard-like mastersystem games, as there is no card slot, only master system slot.

themadhacker said:
oh, and if you want to be lazy, you can just get a game gear and the master gear converter.

EDIT: keep in mind though, that if you do this, you will not be able to use 3d glasses or those small hucard-like mastersystem games, as there is no card slot, only master system slot.

Yeah I knew about that. I though about that, but as I can't replace the GG screen, its not worth it to me.

why not just use a nomad? its smaller, original hardware, has video out, and very little power draw. just "upgrade it to a bigger case, and a psone screen. :awesome:

I have yet to see either at garage sales, but there is a huge flea market coming up with hundreds of people set up that I might be able to find something at. Thats in September though. So its a no-go on my part until then.

I guess. I'd rather spend half of what I would on ebay at a garage sale or flea market though.

Back